Part 6

April 14 1912

Chapter 6

8:00

The North Atlantic Ocean

En route to New York City.

Pov Ellie Fernsby:

Ellie used a pipe bag to top the cheesecake with a sweet chocolate drizzle.

"The cake still looks empty." she thought. Ellie searched around the kitchen for a topping that would uniquely finish her cheesecake. The fifth cheesecake she has made today, and the one hundredth and fifth cheesecake she's made sense on board the titanic. Even so, every cake was different all on its own.

Ellie searched through the pantry for ingredients: nuts, chocolate chips, mint slices.

Ellie Fernsby was a scientist, known for her never before seen inventions and discoveries. What does she invent? Foods. All sorts of foods. Not to mention she was progressive, always researching to find the newest and boldest taste.

She pulled frozen blueberries whipped cream from the freezer. The thing Ellie loved most about food was the flavors. One fruit has its taste, but combine it with another fruit, and it's an entirely different combination of flavor. She thought about the blueberries and cream. What two and two could make.

Ellie blended the blueberries together until they were a mushy purple mixture. Then with a large spatula, she folded the whipped cream into the mush. The outcome: a purple fluffy blueberry flavored topping for her cheesecake.

"It's perfect!" she wiped her hands on her apron.

Ellie loved her job, but the part she loved most was serving. She loved watching people eat and enjoy her creations. Watching people smile when the flavor hits their pallet gives Ellie the rush of life and a desire to create more.

However, there was one person on this planet she never ever wanted to serve.

Ellie put the tin covering over the cheesecake and walked it out to the saloon deck, where first class passengers were enjoying their breakfast. She blew her blonde hair out of her face to seem presentable to the rich passengers but it was no use. Hours of cooking had already got her clothes and hair covered in flour.

In the very back of the saloon deck sat a man. His name was Boram Olsen.

"Your cheesecake sir." She set the plate down on the table and removed the tin lid.

"Why is it purple?" asked Boram.

"That is my newest blueberry cream topping sir." Ellie hated the fact that the first man to try her new invention would be this man.

"Enjoy" She walked away without saying anything else.

She made her way back to the kitchen. Boram Olsen was the first and only person she never wanted to serve. He didn't even enjoy his food. Ellie turned around before closing the kitchen doors and watched as Boram shoved the cake in his mouth with the speed of a starving gorilla.

"What kind of pig eats a whole cheesecake for breakfast? What a waste" Ellie thought to herself? "If you eat food too quickly, how will you taste it? Delicacies like mine require you to slow down and admire the smell, the appearance, the flavor." Before she could close the kitchen door the cake was gone.

. . .

The clock striked noon, Elle takes off her apron and hangs it up for the lunch shift cooks to take over. She sighs. The end of a very busy morning.

Elle made her way back to her room, a small bunk in the maid and valet saloon, C desk. Meaning she passed through all the first class cabins on the way down. She pulled her hand along the walls feeling the fresh wallpaper, mind wandering, when she noticed something. A girl and a boy hauling suitcases from one suite to the other. Elle knew the girl was Ymir, Borams daughter. And the boy, he was one of the vietnamese brothers, but she was not sure which.