Twenty-Nine

The very first thing he did as soon as he walked in the front door was fall face-first onto his sofa. There was a long and muffled groaning sound emanating from the cushion, but Reed didn't move otherwise.

Trailing behind, you closed and locked his front door, carrying his bag as you went to the control panel.

[Optimal Preferred Temperature: 65°F

Energy-Saving Mode: OFF

Lighting Preferences: Set To Evening]

While you went to bring the bag to his bedroom, to sort through and figure out what needed to be cleaned, Gavin lifted his head and cleared his throat. "...... did you turn the AC on?"

"Yes, sir."

".... oh. What, uh..."

"65° Farenheit, sir. The lights have already been switched from the bright white to a more gentle amber tone. They will dim as midnight grows nearer. I have programmed them in collaboration with the precise time sundown begins for the rest of the year, so having to set them daily is no longer necessary."

"...... you did that all in less than a minute?"

"Less than five seconds."

His head slowly rose, peeking at you from over the top of the couch. "That's fuckin' insane."

Offering a tiny smile, you replied, "If you say so. I am still a computer, and it took little effort." Leaving the living room, the human's bag was set on top of his bed, opened so you could go through the contents.

[His ability to pack is strategic. Combining the small articles of clothing with larger ones so they take up the least amount of space. This is impressive.]

"You don't gotta do my laundry, you know." Leaning in the threshold, your directive seemed tired, but relaxed. "I can go through my luggage, cara mia. We just got back, you really don't have to keep working."

Hands slowly lowering, your gaze followed suit. "... I am not working, Gavin. I am doing what I'm made to do. This is not work. This is primary function."

"Okay. Well, as your primary function, I'm telling you that this shit can wait." His approach was slow, a hand taking the clothing you still held and setting it back into the bag. "Look at me," the human added, turning your head to face his, hand beneath your chin. "... thank you. You defended my ass, even if I still feel like I don't deserve it. So... for now, don't worry about this whole unpacking bullshit. Let's just relax. I'd feel like a tool if I sat around doing nothing while you were walking around doing my stupid chores."

It took a few tries, but you managed to put your conflicting thoughts into a sentence: "... I do not know how to relax."

There was his handsome grin again. "Now that I can show you."

◇___#$&!___◇

"Ahhh, shit. I think maybe having so many was a horrible idea." Kneeling in front of the movie-laden bookshelf, Gavin sounded exasperated.

Still uncertain as to your actual place in his home, aside from being his prototype, you stood beside the sofa, watching him. "Are you trying to choose something to watch, sir?"

"Gavin." He shot you a look, eyebrows at different heights. "I'm not enough of a gentleman to be called sir. I told you before. And to answer your question, yeah, I am. But... fuck, I've got so many."

"I know next to nothing about Disney, but... why not your favorite? I assume this is intended for me to view, and not so much yourself?"

"Cara mia, I have too many favorites. You'd have to be more specific."

The soft click of your heels approached before you knelt beside him, already taking one out. "You've organized them by the year they were released, which makes it quite easy for me to find one."

Taking the case, the male eyed it before eyeing you again. "Oliver & Company? Cause you heard me singing?" When you nodded in confirmation, he added, "Okay, well, that's one. Eventually you're gonna watch them all. But..."

Magic in the little things. If she got enraptured by the sunset...

Your directive soon stood after grabbing one more, shooing you towards the couch. When you expectedly sat on the edge, stiff as a board, he laughed and shook his head. "Ohh, no. I'm gonna teach you how to be lazy." With some gentle guidance and even gentler hands, you were sitting back against the cushions, heels set aside and your feet tucked neatly under you in a position that really was relaxing. But it felt so alien to you all the same.

Sitting beside you, there was no way to know that Reed sitting on your right side was intentional. As the film started, your indicator went yellow on occasion, processing different bits of data, though there really was no reason to.

A quarter of the way through, the human quietly glanced over; to an untrained eye, you would have seemed engrossed in the story. He knew better. "Hey," Reed spoke softly; judging by the swift turn of your head, he was right. "I'm not sure what exactly makes you tick, but the first rule of watching movies with me is no analyzing 'em. Just sit back and take in the plot for what it is. It's all fiction, cara mia, no sense in trying to decode it or whatever. That shit only works with suspense and mystery films. Capice?"

Blinking a few times first, your eyes closed, internally putting some algorithms aside and into a suspended state. LED blue once more, you opened your eyes again to find your directive smiling. "... all right, Gavin."

"Good." Even despite his sudden but cautious new rule, he saw your light flash yellow once in awhile. But it was during points in the film that were more intriguing or emotional, so that made more sense.

The second Disney movie was begun as soon as the first one ended; while Oliver & Company was older, of course, Tangled was in the 3D animation. Your head tilted a few degrees once it was noticed, and his stomach twisted a few thousand times.

Fuckin' hell... why is that so goddamn adorable?

"It seems as though their idea of a villain has shifted," you spoke quietly, having not said a word since a little into the first movie. "They have gone from evil beings with no redeeming qualities to ones that may be just as evil, but whose motives are more complicated. Less pure evil and more relatable. Which may be worse."

Gavin's eyebrows raised, watching you watch his screen. "After two movies you already pieced that together?" You nodded, this time not looking away. "... Cara mia, what did I tell you about analyzing the movie?"

You didn't respond, and he didn't repeat himself. You'd finally learned to watch something for the sake of watching, and the blinking yellow light at your temple said enough: Reed pulled out his phone and made a few notes. If you read them, fine: there wasn't enough information to go by.

But he was beginning to form ideas.