chapter four

-

After a few moments of silence, filled with only the sound of the crunch of our food echoing around our ears, I decide to attempt at starting a conversation.

"So, why did you decide to leave Lenora and her gang?" I ask, turning my head to face her, raising an eyebrow

"Gang? Are they a gang?" She asks, her voice going slightly higher, and she sounds a tad panicked, which is weird.

"No, I just... It's a figure of speech." I say, slightly confused that she didn't get it

"Oh, yeah - a figure of speech, right." She breathes, visibly shivering, as if she's shaking a memory off of her shoulders or something, "I left them because they're exactly what I'm steering away from, y'know, trouble."

"Well, I've never really been in trouble, probably due to the fact I never go out anyway." I mumble, but she still hears, making me feel like I have just painted 'loser' on my own face.

"Why not?" She asks, laughing plainly out of confusion

"Because, I uh - I've never been invited out." I mutter, casting my eyes downwards as I feel my cheeks start to burn with heat.

"You what?!" She asks, clearly shocked, "what, never? In your whole life - never?"

"No, never. Thanks for emphasising that fact though, it makes me feel so good about my social life." I say, rolling my eyes, my cheeks still warm

"Wow, they weren't kidding when they said that you were a loner and had no friends." She says, staring at me with a slightly amused expression

"Wow, you know how to make someone feel great." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes again

"Y'know if you keep rolling your eyes like that, they're gonna fall out." She says, raising an eyebrow at me and smirking

"I wish they would. People seem to understand total blindness rather than colour blindness." I sigh, leaning back again and staring up at the canopy of leaves above me.

"I wouldn't. Just the act of seeing is an amazing gift, you shouldn't just wish it away." She says, glancing over at me

"Well, the act of seeing colour is an amazing gift that everyone takes for granted. And those without that gift are left behind, feeling like crap." I say, slightly annoyed, "don't tell me what I take for granted, you don't know me, you don't know what an entire life without friends is like."

""You don't know me either Alec, you don't know what I've been through either." She snaps angrily, standing up and looking away, but not before I see the glint of tears in her eyes

She walks away, and as if it's been waiting for this moment, the bell rings, and she's soon lost in the rush to get to class on time.

I sigh and slowly stand up, stretching my arms out before I sling my bag over my shoulder, heading towards my English classroom, which is conveniently over the other side of school. I end up having to jog half the way, as the hallways are becoming dangerously empty.

I stumble into the classroom just in time, as the teacher has just started to stand up, ready to begin the lesson. My eyes land on Violet, who's slumped in the back row, her signature smirk plastered onto her face as she is, once again, with the popular crew.

I sigh and walk towards my seat, dumping my books on the desk as I sit down. Everyone has a place in this world, and that's just where she belongs, with the popular kids, not with me.

'You had one chance at having a friend and you blew it you idiot.' My head snarls at me.

But it's right, I blew it, and now Violet is back in her rightful place, at the top of the high school food chain. The only problem is, I can't stop thinking about her.