chapter five

-

Five days a week for majority of the year, I walk into school hoping that something will be different.

But after all of over eleven years of it, my hope crashed and burned like someone stepped on it then set it on fire. After all, I started believing what they were saying about me; who wouldn't?

Today is different though. For the first time, when I've walked in the school gates, someone has come up to me, not to tease me or be a complete ass, but someone genuinely interested in being my friend.

"Hey Alec." Violet says, grinning at me whilst she hugs a few of her books to her chest

"Hey, uh what's up?" I say, unsure as of what to actually say in this situation

"Never say that again. Let me teach you the art of social skills." she says dramatically, falling into step beside me as we walk towards my locker

"Well there's just some things books can't teach you." I say, twisting the code into my lock before pulling it open, "on paper, I'd be fine at socializing, in real life however, is a very different story."

"Hmm well, you must be awkward." she says, chuckling

She leans against the locker beside mine, looking totally cool in a checked skirt and printed t-shirt, her hair falling down in perfect waves. I finish shoving my books into my bag and haul it over my shoulder, slamming my locker shut.

"Wow thanks, didn't work that one out." I retort sarcastically, rolling my eyes as we walk off down the school corridor

We continue talking and for the first time, I make it inside my first classroom without being harassed by anyone, which is a miracle in itself. The fact that Violet Black, the girl who awes everyone with her merge presence, is hanging out with me, the colourblind, bullied nobody, is just unheard of.

Later, when the classroom is filled and Mr Turner is busy lecturing us on the values of Shakespeare's work, which I already know, I turn and just awe at the fact that Violet is next to me, her eyes concentrating on the board, a slight smile on her lips and even in black and white, she manages to look flawless to me.

"I don't get why you hate art." Violet scoffs as we sit under the same tree, eating our lunches in the shade, "I mean, it's art, it's original, creative, it expresses the very person you are, it's an escape from reality!"

"It also usually requires the act of seeing colour too." I point out blatantly, biting into an apple

"Not necessarily, art doesn't need to be perfect or realistic, that's the beauty of it, it just needs to be real and from the heart." She says, smiling at me, "plus, heaps of drawings and paintings are in black and white anyway."

"Yeah, but one, I would never pass colour theory in art, and two, you could hand me pink paint and I wouldn't even know the difference." I say shrugging

"Oh, that's why you're wearing a purple shirt." she says, grinning mischievously at me

"What?!" I exclaim, looking down at my shirt, but it only looks black to me

"I was kidding, it's black, don't stress." She says, laughing, "but pink jeans Alec, they really don't match your style."

"Shut up." I scoff, pouting and folding my arms, "stop being so vexatious."

"Your fancy words don't fool me! I know that it secretly means I'm amazing and sexy." she says, winking at me and I blush slightly

"It actually means troublesome and annoying, but whatever helps you sleep at night." I say, chuckling softly as she hits me lightly on the arm