Chapter 18

Feeling the wheels of the plane screech onto the runway, I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. I looked out the window and saw the airport. It looked just like any other airport. People guiding it to it's gate, people unloading the luggage. Nothing out of the usual, and I held on to the normalcy just a little longer.

"It's late and nobody knows when we're expected to come back, so we should have to worry about too much press," said Jun grabbing his backpack.

He took my hand, looking at me for confirmation to go as we stood right at the door. I exhaled but my chest didn't get any lighter. I nodded for him to lead, and we were on our way. Jun's manager would be picking us up to take us back to his house. He said she was really nice and actually excited that he was dating someone. I hoped she would be the first friendly face I saw in this country.

Walking down the corridors through the airport, security in front of us, I hadn't realized they were there until they appeared. Two very tall men in black shirts and jeans. They were solid but not buff. It didn't make me doubt their skills any.

Soon I heard the voices and the shutters of cameras just as we turned a corner. Jun grabbed my hand tighter and we walked faster. Looking down, I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of a good photo. The sound loud and quick, the flashes even faster, shouts in Korean came from left and right without Jun saying a word.

A few questions flew past my ears in the familiarity of English.

"What's your name?"

"When did you start dating?"

I didn't say anything, feeling throat get extremely dry. Wondering when we would reach the end, security lead us out a door to a parking lot where a large SUV-like van waited for us. A woman no taller than me.. Her light brown hair was tied in low ponytail and sharp square glasses sat on her face, waiting for us with a welcoming smile. Her frame tiny frame in a light blue button up shirt and tan slacks. I bet she wore a size zero.

"Annyeoghaseyo!" she smiled, with a casual bow to Jun then to me.

Jun bowed back casually with a smile. "Hi, Noona. It's great to see you again,." said Jun still holding on to me. "This is Ari. She doesn't speak any Korean, so if we could talk in English?"

She nodded. "No problem. Hello Ari. My name is Song Bo-ra. It's very nice to meet you. Seokjun-ssi has been working very carefully to make sure your time here is enjoyable," she grinned. I wondered what exactly he had been doing that I didn't know.        

"Thank you," I grinned giving a light bow back. It just seemed appropriate. "Nice to meet you too."            

"Of course. Are you hungry, tired? We already bought food to Jun-ah's apartment if you rather eat something there," she said ushering us into the vehicle. The bags had already been loaded. Jun let me in first and sat next to me while Bo-ra sat in the front passenger seat. "Or do you want something from a restaurant?"

I didn't know what to say. What were the options?

"Let's just go home. I can order something if we want," said Jun looking at my frozen face of confusion. With that being said, the car zoomed out towards Jun's apartment.

Looking out the window at the tall buildings, stores, and restaurants I was in awe of the charm this city had. Even almost at midnight, the city hummed with people and cars all around. It was like looking at a clean, New York City, but everything was esthetically pleasing. The storefronts, the way some of the crosswalks lit up when it was time to go or stop, the colors of the signs of various cafés and restaurants. It all invited you in. Called you in. Luring you almost. I wanted to experience all of it.