Chapter 1

You were walking home while carrying the groceries you had bought for dinner tonight, you tried your best to hide the bruises on your arms and legs, so you wore leggings and a long sleeve shirt, despite it being really warm today. As you walked home you saw your husband's car drive passed you, then you started to panic and you sped walked the rest of the way. You snuck in the back door which is where the kitchen was and started putting groceries away quickly. Once finished you were able to start doing dishes when you hear the front door burst open, and then slam shut.

"WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCKING WHORE?!?!" you heard from the living room.

You dried your hands quickly and headed towards the living room before being struck to the ground, your ears ringing while you tried to catch your breath. You looked up at the man you thought you fell in love with, his broad muscular shoulders and toned skin, his black hair slicked back with gel, and his amber eyes that were once kind and gentle, were now filled with rage. You stared up at him while he yelled at you, yet you couldn't hear what he was saying over the ringing phone. 'Wait.. Phone?.. It sounds like a rotary phone.. its.. coming from the attic..' You thought as you looked at the ceiling, before getting kicked in the stomach and curling in a ball.

After your husband walked away you stumbled up to your feet then headed back into the kitchen and finished doing the dishes, you couldn't stop thinking about the rotary phone ringing because it just kept ringing throughout the house. Your husband made no mention of it so you thought you were going crazy, as you dry the dishes and put them away the ringing just kept getting louder until it was all you could hear. You made dinner and tried to ignore the sound of the ringing phone but it was constantly ringing insistently. You ate dinner with your husband in the dining room then he went to take a shower while you headed towards the stairs, climbing up them while trying to ignore the ringing.

You pulled down the ladder of the attic and climbed up into it, before closing the ladder behind you so your husband doesn't find you. You looked around to see where the ringing was coming from, before starting to get closer to the sound. You stopped once you saw your old TV and VHS player, and so did the ringing. You opened a box that was labeled "WH" and started tearing up once you saw the tapes inside. You smiled as you took out the first tape and looked over it while the nostalgic memories of your childhood washed over you, you started to hook up your TV to a nearby plug along with your VHS player. 

You then turned them both on to see if they still worked and smiled more when they did. You then remember the ringing rotary phone and look around to find it, and you did find it, underneath a pile of old clothes and blankets you had at the age of seven. You look at the plastic toy rotary phone as it glimmered in the light, It's red hue with yellow, blue, and orange stripes at the bottom. You gently pick up the small phone on top and observe it as the yellow plastic shines in the light, the ends being blue with red speaking holes. You smile as you set it back down, then it suddenly rings and you scream and drop it, the phone falling off and picking up the call. You stare at it then you hear from the phone a soft, calm voice.

"Hello?.." It asks softly.

You pick up the phone and shakily put it up to your ear, listening to whatever may come from the other side.

"Hello?.." The voice asks again, "Helloooo?..."

You couldn't believe it, someone was actually calling this toy phone, but it's impossible, how could that possibly be? It was unbelievable.

"Ha Ha Ha...I'm only kidding. I know you're there." The voice says, making you freeze, "Did you like my joke?"

You didn't know what to say, you didn't even know what to think about this.