2 - My Name in the Music

Francesca, the looming shadow, and Katie, the glowing starlet, were glued to my side trying to overwhelm me with drinks at the bar

Francesca, the looming shadow, and Katie, the glowing starlet, were glued to my side trying to overwhelm me with drinks at the bar. The living room was big enough for the parade of drunken dancers, me being one of them only a moment ago. This hellscape wasn't big enough to fit both myself and my ex in one room. It's like throwing two blood-lusting predators in a cage and tossing in one measly bone. One of us was coming out, maybe neither, just a pile of bones for broth, but never both.

Zan's only intention was to spoil my night, and he did for shits and giggles to laugh about how crazy women are with his pig-headed friends. Zan had a way of making me come out screaming in hysterics. I was sick of being snuffed out. I was never going to play into any man's trap ever again. No matter how good-looking.

'Lyra, you okay girl? I don't like that look in your eye,' Katie said.

'I do,' Francesca said. The devil on my shoulder while Katie was, well, she was a demon too. 'He pushed her off the table.'

Katie reeled. 'He what?'

My ankle was still throbbing. I needed to elevate it, or I'd have to cancel the dance class I was instructing tomorrow night.

I turned to the cute bartender and asked for some ice and a towel. The instant I turned my back on the party warm oil spilled along my back again. I tilted my head to the direction of the heat where a watchful man poised at the opposite wall played with a flash of fire in his hands. I did a double-take before I saw the lighter between his fingers. I felt the flame catch alight with the oil on my skin.

Enflamed with a sudden primal wanting, I locked eyes with the mysterious gentleman staring so unabashedly. The lighter flickering on and off in his hand.

'Lyra?' Katie said. She was a distant echo in the background.

The room dimmed but the thawing spotlight caught the gold tone in his dark olive skin. I devoured the sight of him whilst he devoured me like he'd caught his breath. I leaned off the bar, bearing the wait painlessly on my both my ankles. I handed the cloth-wrapped ice to Katie and slipped through scantily bodies rubbing against each other.

Halfway through he was gone in a blink. Bewildered, I scoured the bopping heads while a fever stirred just beneath my skin. I shouldn't be this disappointed. The thought of him seeing someone more enticing didn't just crush my self-esteem but seared at the threat of my soul to his.

I stiffened. That was unwelcomingly intense.

Lust, I thought. It was just lust, and I can be a bit vapid. I must have looked foolish to the girls so I spun on my heels to make my way back to them.

I felt the balmy sensation before his body pressed into my back, hands fitting perfectly around my hips. I dipped my head back and caught the caramel glaze on those dark eyes, lush with thick lashes, I could feel the sculpted muscle through the flimsy fabric of my dress as he moved with the rhythm of my hips. Not grinding into me but not leaving room for the holy spirit either.