Chapter 5

I am looking out my window from my room, not really thinking of anything in particular, just staring into oblivion. As I watch the birds picking on seeds and crumbs of bread, my phone rings. My ringtone Is "Running Up the Hill," by Kate Bush, for some reason, everyone around me hates this song, probably because they do not understand what it is all about, but I love it so it does not really matter who does not.

It's Kris calling, I pick it up and put the phone to my ears. "Agatha, where are you!" she literally screams through the phone, "Calm down," I respond before even knowing what is going on and why she is upset. "Chipego broke up with Lily, she says, with a much calmer voice now, "she has been crying for hours, and have no idea how to make her stop, I am tired." She adds, "and you thought the best person to call was me? really?" I ask her and she groans in annoyance, "Agatha can you be thoughtful for once in your life and bring yourself here, your friend needs you." She pleads, "On my way," I tell her.

I grab a hoodie and put on some shoes, heading to the door but I am stopped by my mother who asks where I am going. "Lily's," I respond without adding anything else. "What is at Lily's" she prompts, and I have to turn so that I am looking directly at her, hoping she will let me go after seeing how annoyed I am by her interogations. "Since when do you question where I am going and how I spend my time? I answer thoughtlessly and I instantly regret, knowing my mum very well. My mother was an African mum, and you do not talk back at African parents, it never mattered whether you were right or wrong. But that slipped my mind ever so often. "I carried you for nine months," I groan internally knowing the card she just pulled on me, "I have raised and fed you, you stay in my house! I have every right to know what you are doing and with whom!" she says and I just stare at her, she had captured everyone's attention in the house but no one would dare interfere.

"So now let us start over but this time put into consideration that I am your mother and the owner of this house, understood?" At this point she wanted war and any other day I would have graciously given her exactly what she was asking for but my friends were waiting for me so I had no other choice but to comply. "Lily is passing through something personal so Kris told me to go and check up on her, they are both waiting for me.'' With that said she nods her head in approval and goes back to what she was doing, I sigh and walk out the door. 

I board a bus that drops me just near Lily's residence, and from there I sprint to the compound, It is near the bus stop shelter and you see it from a distance. I reached the familiar house and entered through the main gate, I went in using the Kitchen door was carelessly left wide open, I stood in the kitchen that feels trying to look for any sign of the girls but I did not see them. Listening closely I hear muffled voices and sounds that were like cries from someone who was tired from crying too much so I follow them.

I found the two of them in the bathroom, Lily was seated on the floor while Kris sat at the edge of the bathtub. Kris is relieved upon seeing me and I squat down where Lily is sitting. The girls explained to me what had happened and what led to the breakup. It was the same old story, I am sure the guy just got tired of Lily and decided to make an excuse just so he could leave. Sometimes you would wonder what these men really want, but I did stay on that thought for a long time. I instead decided to try my best to make my friend feel better although all my efforts proved to be in vain, I kept on trying until I managed to convince her to go out with Kris and me. She liked shopping so am sure a few clothes would get her mind off that useless boy.