Chapter 6: The Craziest Thing About Being a Best Friend

It was unlike Niki to keep a cat. Sa ilang taong mag-isa ni Niki, hindi nito naisipang mag-alaga ng pusa. Maybe it was because she had been so busy taking care of herself that the notion of taking care of something as dependent as a cat didn't appeal to her. But then again, Niki has changed in the last few months. She lost her job, lost her roommate... she probably took the stray kitten to feel in control again.

And that was fine with Andy. Niki owns her unit. She makes the rules. Nasa kwarto lang naman nito ang pusa at bumili na ito ng mga gamot para sa kanya. She even bought a humidifier to filter the air so his allergy wouldn't act up.

Ang kaso... two days later, nagkasakit si Niki.

They both suspected it was the virus. Niki had most of the symptoms. She didn't want to go to a hospital because the hospitals have been overwhelmed with cases of the virus. What she wanted to do was self-isolation, which was fine with him. Marami rin silang mga stock na gamot, alcohol, at masks. Niki would stay in her room and he would wear gloves and masks when he would interact with her. Just to be safe.

That was fine with him. But then, she asked him for a favor that he was very hesitant to do. Niki was very adamant about this favor. In the end, he caved in.

Ngayon ay magkatitigan sila ni Ponkan sa loob ng kwarto niya.

"What?" he asked when the kitten meowed. "I just fed you."

It jumped out from its box and strutted towards him. Umurong siya nang umurong hanggang sa tumama ang swivel chair niya sa sulok ng kwarto. "Meow," the cat said before clawing on his jogger pants. He climbed up his leg.

Tumayo si Andy at isinipa-sipa ang binti para bumitaw ang kuting. But it was persistent. In the end, he had to remove it with his hands before his allergy started acting up again. Ibinalik niya ito sa box at saka dinuro-duro. "Stay!"

Tumalikod siya sa pusa nang mag-ring ang phone niya. It was Niki.

"Yep? Need anything?"

"I want coffee," she said in a hoarse voice.

"Okay. But can you taste coffee?"

Niki snorted. "I want coffee. Yung malamig sa bibig tapos mainit sa tiyan at lalamunan. Na lasang orange juice."

"Meow," sabat ni Ponkan.

"I know. She's weird," pabulong niyang sabi sa pusa.

"I heard that."

"You can't have coffee, Niki. Sorry." He dropped the call and immediately headed to her bedroom because he had a feeling of what she was about to do next. And he was right. She was already opening the door when he got there just in time to close it. He was pulling at the doorknob. Sa ibang pagkakataon, mabubuksan siguro nito ang pinto. But not when she's sick.

"Andy... open the door please..."

"You can't taste coffee. You can't even smell it. Magtubig ka na lang." Niki grunted and pounded on the door. He let out an exasperated sigh. "Kapag lumabas ka ng kwarto, uuwi ako ng probinsya bukas."

Tumahimik ito. "Fine!" she said through gritted teeth.

Andy decided to work in the living room for the time being. Mahirap kasing i-monitor si Niki kapag parehas silang nasa loob ng kani-kanyang kwarto. She was only allowed to go out of the room when she had to go to the bathroom. Kung ano ang kailangan nito, siya ang nag-aabot. And she had to wear a mask every time.

Tuwing babalik ito ng kwarto, nakasunod na siya agad to wipe her trail with alcohol. Ponkan also liked being in the living room. More space to terrorize.