Chapter 28: Nicole and Andrew

Kinabukasan, mukha ni Niki ang nabungaran ni Andy pagkamulat niya ng mga mata. She was curled in a fetal position facing him, the tendrils of her hair gently caressing the side of her face. She was still wearing his jacket underneath the thick blanket. The room was cold due to the air-conditioning. He could feel her knee between his thighs. The other leg draped over him.

The sun was already peeking out from the partially parted curtains on the windows. At that moment, Andy could only hear three things clearly: the hum of the AC unit, Niki's soft breaths, and the slow and steady beating of his own heart.

What a way to wake up in the morning.

His throat was as dry as the desert under the intense heat of the sun, and all he wanted to do was get up and drink some coffee. But it could wait. The world could wait.

He carefully lifted his left hand to touch her face. Sensing that her cheek was a bit cold, he hiked up the blanket to cover her chin. The movement, however slight, caused Niki to stir under the blanket.

Andy held his breath and prayed that she would not wake up yet.

Niki got drunk last night, despite his efforts to help her not to. Tumagal naman ito hanggang sa maubos nila ang huling bote ng alak. Sa kakaasikaso niya rito at sa mga kaibigan, hindi siya gaanong nalasing. Kada request kasi ng mga ito, siya ang tumatayo at gumagawa. Except for when Niki has decided to lean on his shoulder and sleep.

His friends went home at around 2AM, pagkatapos makapagkape at magtanggal ng tama ng mga ito. Prior to that, si Niki ang unang nagpaalam para matulog. Inihatid niya ito sa kwarto ni Antoneth, but his sister somehow forgot that Niki was sleeping in her room. Since Antoneth's room was locked, Andy just took Niki to his room to let her sleep.

He wanted to take the jacket off to make her more comfortable, but she was hugging herself so tightly that he just gave up. Ihiniga niya ito nang maayos sa kama. Binuksan niya ang AC bago ito kumutan, saka siya bumalik sa mga kaibigan na nasa kubo.

"Andy, pakape ka naman," sabi sa kanya ni Jewel. Naiiling siyang bumalik sa kusina para kumuha ng kape.

Mike helped him bring mugs for everyone.

"Wag 'yan," sabi niya rito nang kunin nito sa dish rack ang paboritong mug ni Niki. "Kay Niki yan."

Mike raised both of his hands and backed away. "Okay. Sorry."

He let out a laugh. "Timplahin na kaya natin dito yung kape para iinumin na lang nila dun?"

Mike touched his shoulder. "Pre, natikman mo na ba yung kape mo?"

"Bakit ayaw ninyo sa kape ko?"

"It's like eating pure sugar, bro."

He frowned. "Hm. Sabi nga rin ni Niki."

"Makinig ka kay Niki." Mike put Niki's mug back on the dish rack and took the other mugs with him. Siya naman ay dinala ang mga titimplahin at ang thermos, sa likod-bahay.

"So when are you going to tell Niki about your feelings?" Angel asked him while they were making their own cup of coffee.

"Ayaw nya." Si PJ ang sumagot para sa kanya. "He doesn't want things to change."

"But why not? Change is good," Angel argued.

Bumuntong-hininga siya. "Can't you just guys forget what we talked about earlier?"

Jewel shook her head while clicking her tongue. "Andy, Andy, Andy..."

"Bakit takot na takot ka?" kunot-noong tanong ni Babylene sa kanya. "Of all the people in the world, you know Niki's heart the best. You only have good intentions towards her. Of all the people, Andy, you are the best guy out there for her. And she knows your heart too. Kayo nga ang pinakang-compatible na maging magkarelasyon e. Because you've been friends for a long time. Isn't friendship the best foundation of any relationship?"