New Home, New Family

The next day, everyone in Green Hills is back to normal, and everyone is going on with their everyday lives. Meanwhile, Tom and Maddie are fixing their house from the attack a few days ago. As of now, they're painting the walls.

"You got enough there?" Tom asks.

"Yes, Mr. Manager." Maddie answers.

Tom lifts the roller brush and playfully rolls it in front of Maddie. "Need any more?"

Maddie chuckles as she moves back, walking away. "You get that away!" 

"Most of the Mobians chuckled at that.

Tom then continues to paint the wall of the house as Maddie paints the other wall. Suddenly, they hear a knock on the door. Tom answers the door to reveal Commander Walters at the front door.

"What now??" Sonic complains.

"Yeah, they've been through enough already." Amy scowled.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wachowski?" The commander calmly greeted with a slight bow.

"Yes?" Tom questions, slightly nervous.

The commander reaches into his coat and hands them an envelope. "A token of appreciation for your government for keeping quiet about recent incidents which never occurred."

"Oh..." Amy said, surprised. "I didn't see that coming."

"I think this is his idea of an apology for Tom being a fugitive." Tails assumed.

"So, they're getting a prize." Charmy asked excitedly.

"In a sense." Espio answered vaguely

"Wow!" Tom says, surprised and takes the envelope. "Wonder what it is."

"Money to fix the house?" Maddie guessed.

"Letter from the president?" Tom suggests.

"You'll see." Commander Walters says.

"Okay." Tom says.

"Yeah, just open the envelope and see for yourselves." Knuckles said. 

Tom opens the envelope to reveal a $50 gift card to Olive Garden from Uncle Sam.

"Olive Garden." Maddie replies.

"Wait, what??" Most of the Mobians chorused, dumbfounded.

"Yeah, heh. The way you said 'You'll see' made me think it was something better than the things we said." Tom replies.

"Have you tried their Never Ending Pasta Bowl? It never ends!" Commander Walters said.

"That sounds... fancy." Tom replies.

"Mm-hmm." Maddie  "Well, thank you. We appreciate the gesture."

"I guess the bribe to keep a silent budget was having cuts." Rouge said, shaking her head.

"Oh, hey. I guess we can close the file on that Robotnik guy, huh? Just disappeared." Toma stated.

"I'm sorry, but no such person exists or ever has existed." The commander said.

"I wish that were true." 

"Bet they were thrilled to pretend that he never existed." Sonic chuckled.

"You haven't, by any chance, been in contact with a certain alien creature since the incident, have you? Uncle Sam would love to have a chat with him. Very casual. Brunch, perhaps."