Chapter 10: Nice to Meet You All

You and Levi were sitting in the building by a lantern with the kids. The one you've come to know as Sasha, was outside and on watch duty. You were in between Levi and Mikasa. As you were studying them one by one, Levi started talking.

"What's wrong? Did all this filth kill your appetite?"

The boy named Armin started speaking. "No. Jean..." The person to his left turned to face him. It was a boy that had short pinkish-brown hair and his face kind of resembled an animals... a horse maybe? Armin continued. "There's something I don't understand."

Jeans eyes widened in response "What's that?" He said.

"When I turned around to try to save you... that woman already had her gun to your head. It's... funny. How could I have shot before she did?" his voice started to tremble. Jean looked to the ground in pure agony. They clearly were unexperienced. They were still hung up on the fact that they had killed people and became criminals. Unfortunately this is what life is like. You do and regret.

"I don't know" Jean responded. You couldn't just sit there and see these kids in pain. You needed to say something.

"You shot first because she hesitated. It's simple." You say. Levi looked at you and a faint smile appeared on his face. He than looked back to the kids and nodded. They gasped at those words and Jean continued.

"I'm sorry Armin. You wouldn't had have to save me if I had just done my job."

"I know what it is. The woman I shot back there. I bet she was a really kind person. She must've had a lot more human empathy than I ever did. I pulled that trigger so easily, without a thought. I'm...-"

"A killer." Levi interrupted. you looked at him with an angry face. Levi being an ass is the last things these kids need right now. He continued... "And now that your hands have been soaked in blood, the person you once were has been gone for good."

Mikasa gasped. "Why would you say that!"

Levi interrupted... again. "And you shouldn't regret it for one second. If you had chosen to keep your hands clean, Jean would be a corpse on a cart right now." Your anger softened. He had defenitly changed.

"Levi's right. What's done is done. In the end, you did what you thought was the right thing to do, to save your comrade." You said

Levi nodded to your statement and continued. "I'll tell you why you pulled that trigger, because your comrade was about to die. Armin, everyone survived on our squad today because you got blood on your hands. Thank you."

Those two simple words. They made your heart flutter a bit but, you snapped yourself back into reality as Levi looked at you and you two made eye contact.

"Captain Levi," Levi's head snapped back to Jean which got you a bit upset. "I,.. Uh,... thought it was wrong for us to fight other humans, sir. I thought it was wrong that you'd order us to do it. I mean, we became soldier to protect people. But now, I see that I was in the wrong sir. Next time, I swear I'll shoot."

"I never said anything about what was right or wrong. My moral high ground's shot to hell. I have no idea who's in the right at this point."

You started to snicker a bit at his statement. Levi noticed and turned to you again..

"What do you you have to say... princess?"  You shook your head while the others gasped at Levi's name calling. They were shocked that you were able to get away with snickering at him too.

"Wow Levi.. you've changed... a lot. You've gotten wiser and smarter. I like that." You looked at Levi with a warm smile and he relaxed his face. He had a joyous expression in his eyes that no one else picked up on besides you... and maybe that Armin kid too. He seemed really shocked. You heard the kids gasp at him not getting more angry and you faced them and stood up.