Chapter 5

| Calum |

1912

"Don't do it", a voice suddenly says.

I whip my head around at the sound of that. It takes my eyes a second to focus. There is a man standing, probably around my age. Tall, blonde hair, a cigarette between his lips.

"Stay back! Don't come any closer!", I yell at him in frustration.

He looks at my face, obviously seeing the tear tracks on my cheeks. Then he suddenly extends his hand.

"Take my hand. I'll pull you back in", he says to me.

"No! Stay where you are. I mean it. I'll let go", I reply to his offer.

"No you won't", he responds.

I furrow my eyebrows confusedly as he says that.

"What do you mean no I won't? Don't presume to tell me what I will and will not do. You don't know me", I say loudly to him.

„You would have done it already. Now come on, take my hand", he says, extending his hand yet again.

I am confused now. Why is a stranger trying to save me?

"You're distracting me. Go away", I say to him again.

But instead of just leaving, he simply shakes his head.

"I can't. I'm involved now. If you let go I have to jump in after you", he responds as he keeps on looking at me.

"Don't be absurd. You'll be killed", I reply, still being very confused by his actions.

He then takes off his jacket.

"I'm a good swimmer", is all he says.

He then starts unlacing his left shoe.

"The fall alone would kill you", I say, trying to get him to put his clothes back on.

"It would hurt. I'm not saying it wouldn't. To be honest I'm a lot more concerned about the water being so cold", the blonde man tells me.

I look down, reality hitting me on how much this jump would actually hurt.

"How cold?", I ask him quietly.

He takes off his left shoe as he looks at me, shrugging his shoulders.

"Freezing. Maybe a couple degrees over", he replies while he starts unlacing his other shoe.

"Ever been to Wisconsin?", he suddenly asks me.

I furrow my eyebrows a bit in confusion. Why would he suddenly ask me that?

"No", I reply perplexed.

"Well they have some of the coldest winters around, and I grew up there, near Chippewa Falls. Once when I was a kid me and my father were ice-fishing out on Lake Wissota... ice-fishing's where you chop a hole in

the—", he starts to tell me.

"I know what ice fishing is!", I say, my voice getting louder again.

"Sorry. Just... you look like kind of an indoor guy. Anyway, I went through some thin ice and I'm tellin' ya, water that cold... like that right down there... it hits you like a thousand knives all over your body. You can't breath, you can't think... least not about anything but the pain. Which is why I'm not looking forward to jumping in after you. But like I said, I don't see a choice. I guess I'm kinda hoping you'll come back over the rail and get me off the hook here", he tells me while he takes off his other shoe.