Chapter 1

| Calum |

1996

I am currently sitting by the table in the living room, looking through an old magazine. The TV is on. They are showing something about a man, who is looking for something. I do not really pay attention. My granddaughter, who is living with me since I would be lonely otherwise, is feeding her dog as I hear that they are talking about Titanic. Oh the memories...

"I've planned this expedition for three years, and we're out here recovering some amazing things... things that will have enormous historical and educational value", a man called Brock Lovett says.

"But it's no secret that education is not your main purpose. You're a treasure hunter. So what is the treasure you're hunting?", the reporter who is talking to him asks.

"I'd rather show you than tell you, and we think we're very close to doing just that", Brock says.

I slowly get up from the place I was sitting at, walking up to where the TV is.

My granddaughter Lizzy Calvert walks up to the TV as well.

"Turn that up please, dear", I say softly as I sit down by a chair near the screen of the TV.

"Your expedition is at the center of a storm of controversy over salvage

rights and even ethics. Many are calling you a grave robber", the reporter continues.

"Nobody called the recovery of the artifacts from King Tut's tomb grave

robbing. I have museum-trained experts here, making sure this stuff is

preserved and catalogued properly. Look at this drawing, which was found

today...", Brock Lovett says.

Then the camera zooms onto the drawing, which shows a young guy wearing nothing but a necklace with a diamond on it. A huge, blue diamond in the shape of a heart. My eyes widen a bit as soon as I see the drawing.

"...a piece of paper that's been underwater for 84 years... and my team are

able to preserve it intanct. Should this have remained unseen at the bottom

of the ocean for eternity, when we can see it and enjoy it now...?", Lovett says.

I cannot believe my own eyes.
"I'll be God damned", is all I can say.

Almost immediately, I tell my granddaughter to find the phone number of this so called Brock Lovett. She hesitates at first, but after I beg her to do it, she finally gives in.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

A man tells me that he will go and get Mr Brock Lovett and just a few minutes later, he is finally on the other line.

"This is Brock Lovett. What can I do for you, Mr...?", he says.

"Calum Hood", I reply.

"... Mr Hood?"

"I was just wondering if you had found the "Heart of the Ocean" yet, Mr. Lovett.", I ask him.

I can feel that he is surprised by my call, and even more surprised about my knowledge of this diamond. "Alright. You have my attention, Calum. Can you tell me who the man in the picture is?", he asks me curiously.

"Oh yes. The man in the picture is me", I say almost with pride in my voice.

And from that on, it all happens to fast. Brock Lovett invites me to visit him on the ship he is currently on. I agree to do that and soon enough Lizzy packs all of our stuff and we are on our way. They fly us to the ship with a helicopter. The helicopter lands on the ship and a few people help me to get out of it in my wheelchair. I recognize Mr Lovett as he walks up to me along with another man. He welcomes me and my granddaughter then he shows us where we will spend the night.