Chapter 3

Life took a tragic turn for the Hisham family when Badrul's mother, Mak Siah, met with an unfortunate accident. It was a sunny afternoon when the incident occurred. Mak Siah, a woman of unwavering strength, had always been fiercely protective of her family. She refused to yield to the demands of a local criminal who had been extorting money from the neighborhood for far too long.

On that fateful day, as the sun's rays bathed the streets in warmth, the criminal confronted Mak Siah at the local market. He demanded protection money, and when she refused to comply, a heated argument erupted. Passersby watched in shock as the altercation escalated, and the criminal, blinded by rage, pushed Mak Siah into the path of a speeding car. The screeching of tires and the horrified gasps of onlookers filled the air as the car struck her, snatching her life away in an instant.

The loss devastated Badrul and his father, Pak Tam. Grief hung heavy over their household as they grappled with the harsh reality of their newfound emptiness. It was during this dark time that Badrul realized he could no longer stand idly by. He had the power to make a difference, and he was determined to use it for good.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the Hisham's modest home, Badrul and Pak Tam sat in the dimly lit living room. The air was heavy with unspoken sorrow. Badrul broke the silence, his voice tinged with determination.

"Dad, I can't just let this slide," he said, his eyes fixed on a faded family portrait hanging on the wall. "Mom's gone, and it's because she was trying to protect us, protect this family. We can't live in fear like this."

Pak Tam nodded, his eyes welling with tears. "I know, son. But what can we do? We're just ordinary people."

Badrul leaned forward, his face illuminated by the soft glow of a single lamp. "That's the thing, Dad. Mom wasn't just an ordinary person. She had courage, and she stood up for what she believed in. I've been thinking, maybe I can carry on her legacy. I can join a neighborhood watch, work with the community to make this place safer."

Pak Tam looked at his son, a glimmer of hope flickering in his eyes. "It won't bring your mother back, but maybe it'll prevent others from suffering the same fate. If that's what you want to do, son, I'll stand by your side."

And so, in that quiet living room, a plan began to take shape. Father and son resolved to honor Mak Siah's memory by working together to make their neighborhood a safer place, one where fear would no longer hold sway. As they discussed their strategy, memories of Mak Siah's indomitable spirit filled the room, providing the strength and inspiration they needed to embark on this challenging journey of change.

As Badrul continued to come to terms with his abilities, he resolved to put them to use. He began patrolling the village at night, intervening in situations where justice was needed. Criminals and wrongdoers soon learned that there was a new force to be reckoned with—a vigilante known as Badang.

One night, as he quietly patrolled the dimly lit streets, he overheard a conversation in a dark alleyway. Two shady figures, their faces obscured by shadows, were discussing a nefarious plan.

"You know," one of them muttered, "we wouldn't have to worry about Badang if we could get our hands on that ancient amulet he's rumored to possess."

The other figure nodded in agreement, his voice dripping with greed. "That amulet is said to grant unimaginable powers. Imagine what we could do with it."

Badang couldn't let this pass. He stepped out of the shadows, his presence commanding attention. "I wouldn't be so sure about that, gentlemen," he said calmly.

The two figures spun around, their faces filled with surprise and fear. "Badang!" one of them gasped.

Badang folded his arms across his chest, his eyes glowing with determination. "I suggest you rethink your plans," he warned. "Justice always prevails."

As word of Badang's fearless actions spread, he earned the respect and gratitude of more villagers. They began to see him as a symbol of hope in a world where darkness had often prevailed. The local children even started idolizing him, donning makeshift costumes and playing 'Badang' in the streets.

However, as Badang's reputation grew, he faced new challenges. He became the target of those who sought to exploit his powers for their own gain. Among them was a ruthless gang known as the Crimson Syndicate, led by the enigmatic Kamzin, also known as Yellowjacket.

One evening, while Badang was patrolling near the village's edge, he saw a group of Crimson Syndicate members cornering a helpless merchant. They demanded protection money and threatened to harm the merchant's family if he didn't comply.

Badang clenched his fists, his resolve unshaken. He couldn't allow such injustice to go unpunished. With a burst of his newfound powers, he appeared before the gang members, his eyes flashing with authority.

"Your reign of terror ends now," he declared.

The gang members looked at each other, momentarily stunned by the appearance of the vigilante. But Yellowjacket, their fearless leader, stepped forward with a sinister smile.

"Well, well, if it isn't Badang," Yellowjacket sneered. "You're in way over your head this time."

Badang and Yellowjacket faced off, their confrontation sparking a battle that would test Badang's powers to their limits. It was a battle that would ultimately determine whether justice or villainy would prevail in their village.