07. i'm hiding in the rain always smiling

i'm hiding in the rain always smiling

•·················•·················•

"I want to dance for you."

Renjun looked at her, unsure of how to reply. Of course, he would love to watch her dance, but here and now? He found the rooftop to be an impractical location for dancing. Plus, there wasn't any music, and he was the only one around, which would make things pretty awkward—unless she was genuinely thinking about dancing just for him.

That thought made him panic, instantly turning his face bright red. He contemplated what to say, but Nari's sigh snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Do you happen to know a place in the hospital where I could have my performance?"

Of course, she wasn't planning on dancing solely for him. Renjun kicked himself for even letting such a silly idea cross his mind.

"Um, yeah, we've got a small stage where we do shows and plays for the children," he responded, hoping that Nari hadn't picked up on his odd behavior.

"That's wonderful to hear. So, would it be possible for me to do my performance there?" Nari's face lit up from excitement as she imagined herself dancing again. She missed the feeling of slipping into her pointe shoes and adjusting her tutu. Just as much, she longed for the familiar scent of hairspray and the firmness of the bobby pins securely holding her hair in place.

"I don't see any reason why not. It's been quite a while since we last had a show, and I believe the kids would appreciate it."

"Great, I'll discuss it with my parents and arrange to bring over my things," the girl said with a smile as she turned towards the exit. Renjun gazed at her, worried that she might have overlooked the most crucial part of their earlier conversation.

"Nari," he walked after her, gently grabbing her wrist before she could leave, "You should talk to Doctor Byun first. I don't think he'll have any issues with the performance unless it's related to your surgery. Maybe it can't be postponed. Your health should be a priority."

She knew Renjun was right. Avoiding her issues won't make things any easier for her. She'll still have to confront them, regardless of how much she delays it. In reality, Nari felt regretful about her past actions. She was embarrassed for creating a scene and disrupting Doctor Byun's work when he was only trying to help her. Only the thought of facing him filled her with immense shame.

"You're right," she smiled, dropping her head, "I'm just afraid and filled with disgrace. I don't think I can return there again—I feel stupid."

"You're not stupid. And your reaction to the news was completely justified; you have nothing to be ashamed of," Renjun noticed her sigh, gathering that she still wasn't entirely convinced, "I can come with you if you'd like. I'll back you up if something happens."