three. the missing club

✩⁂★⁂✩  "I wished I'd waved when I saw you,               I just watched you passing by

                                   ✩
  "I wished I'd waved when I saw you,
I just watched you passing by..."
                    Ruined, Adrianne Lenker
                                    ✩

"I'm declaring this the first official meeting of the.... missing persons club?." Stephen Ainsworth stood at the foot of a long table that could sit eight in the academy's prime study place, the library. It was after hours and only the first month of school, so it was empty, making it the perfect meeting spot.

  "We need a better name for that." Penny said, hating the way the name sounded.

"Yea, and do we get refreshments?" Jen asked him with her feet on the table. Penny just looked at her as if it was obvious that they wouldn't.

"No, sorry I didn't bring any today, and we're not really allowed to eat in the library, but I will next time." He replied with a sad look on his face.

"You don't have to do that, she's kidding." Penelope swiped Jen's feet off the table, trying to get ahold of her best friend, after all it was just the three of them in the library, and she really wanted to find Charlie.

"Yea, yea thanks for having us.. Are there any more members? I don't see how we're supposed to find the missing kids with just us." Jen said logically. There were now four disappearances leaving no traces and the student body was getting more and more scared.

"Jen!" Penelope scolded her.

"Sorry." she genuinely apologized, not realizing how her speech could be interpreted as disrespectful.She liked to make jokes, but always knew when she hit a sore spot, and knew how to fix it.

"Charlie was my best friend, okay, and he was the first one that went missing. He was the only person who every really got me so I'm trying.. I'm really trying." Stephen looked as if he was going to cry.

"It's okay Stephen we know. She's sorry. We're going to help you. we can make fliers and attend some of the search parties, like the one tonight. We're going to find him, and all the others."

"But she's right.. How are the three of us supposed to help find anyone? We're just three teenagers. I mean I know Ellie will help, she was very close to him too, but thats still four of us. It's like the person who took them knew they weren't very popular on purpose."

"Its awful, an hey leave it up to me." She said, not knowing that she would regret that, at least at first, most of the Westrose students were too scared to leave their dorms, if not for class.

✩⁂★⁂✩

Libby paced the room as her anxiety set in when she realized she was home alone because the others had class. She was trying to convince herself that there was no one there, that the sound she heard was just the icebox, or that one of the girls had a pet she didn't know about.