RUN, HIDE, SURVIVE

Chapter 3
The Rose

That had happened almost 3 months ago.

Since then,  everything has been hectic and the boys have been training me to be the best fighter I could be. In the beginning, I had been curious about where they had learned all these techniques from and had asked when they had immediately shut me down and told me not to worry about it, to put my trust in them that they knew what they were doing. In the end, I learned not to question them since the training was proven effective after getting myself out of a sticky situation without their help and I had trusted them long enough not to start doubting them now.

I could hold my own if I were to be put in a ring against someone a bigger size than me so I had no problem just learning the skills and not asking questions. I crouched low with my dagger ready in hand slowly making my way around the aisle.

Right now I was on a supply run. We were running out of supplies back at the house since we had used up all the supplies we had taken from the boys' houses. Swinging my book sack around my shoulder, I picked up a couple of rolls of tissue and stuffed them inside and then went in search for some food. I hope North was doing better at finding supplies than me at the store next door because if not we was going to go back with a scarce amount of food. I looked around some more and in my search, I found a couple of chips bags and some can foods that hadn't been opened yet. 

I had put the last item I found in my bag when the sound of something being knocked over caught my attention and I became alert even more. I drew my dagger from its resting place and looked around me then carefully making my way to the end of the aisle and looking both ways. It was clear, but I knew that there was someone or something else in here with me.

I waited a few minutes before deciding to check again. I look both left and right just as a hand touched my shoulder. With all my might, I swung my arm that clutched onto the dagger towards the unknown person and in an instant, I was disarmed with my arms twisted around my back. I swiftly turned grabbing onto the arms of my opponent preparing to flip them over my head.

"Wait!" Using my training, I flipped them over my shoulder before they could protest, a groan had released itself by my attacker just as I picked up my dagger. I got on my knees straddling them when the arm of my attacker uncovered their face. A gasp left my mouth as I struggled to scramble back. "North?"

He grunted grumbling under his breath. "That's the second time in a row, Sang baby?"

I stared at North, my eyes were probably as wide as saucers when I got over the shock and went to help him up from the floor. "Omg North, don't do that, you scared the living mess out of me! What are you doing here?"

"I finished up over there so I came back to check on you. I was going to do it anyway." He grumbled rubbing his bottom. I hummed staring at him for a moment. Twisting on my heels, I made sure the coast was clear before moving on to the next aisle with North trailing behind me grumbling to himself.

The search for more supplies in this particular store ended swiftly after finding a generous amount of food, water, and more of other useful items. With 3 bags stuffed with things, North and I quickly left the store as quietly as we could moving on to the next destination, an medical center. We had discussed that it would be wise to move on to another location once we make it back and would be bringing it up to the others. Staying at a place for too long last time resulted in an incident I would rather much forget, so after a family meeting tonight hopefully we will be deciding when we would start preparing for the next move.

We had moved 3 times since the start of this nightmare and stayed on the move every since. After what happened back then, we could never be too careful.

I sighed twisting the dagger in my hand. What a shame though, I didn't even have time to enjoy my new neighborhood before everything went bad.

After gathering a first aid kit and a few hard to come across medications that seemed like it would come in handy, North and I eventually both agreed that we had found enough and it was time for us to go back to our family.

Our trek back was a quiet one, with both of us continuously searching for any signs of possible threats. "North?" He glanced at me after taking a look over a suspicious building. "Yea, Sang baby?"

I sighed heavily. "Do you think things will ever be the same as it was before?" He was silently for a while before asking me. Shrugging his shoulders, he replied, "I-I don't know baby. With the way things are looking now, it is possible things will never be the same." When the purge started, North had been pissed about it and complained a lot but he has came a long way since then. He's changed a lot. I can say that he started to grow more silent in relating his thoughts and emotions.

As we walked in the quiet streets, we kept to the shadows not wanting to run into unnecessary trouble while we made our way back. Soon enough though, we had made it onto the familiar street where we were currently living on and started to quicken our pace in a hurry to get back into the false security of our non permanent residence.

Once we had made it onto the driveway, I could make out a small object beside what looked like a white envelope lying in front of the door. A few more footsteps and North and I had made it to the front door staring down at a rose and a white envelope. I picked up the rose and the envelope that had my name written in cursive in bold letters.

"It's addressed to me?" I whispered to myself. Who is this from? How do they know where I am?  Were the type of questions that ran inside my head as North tried to get my attention.

"Sang, let's bring this up to everyone inside where its safer, we need to go in," he told me his eyes narrowed as he looked around. You never knew what could be lurking around in this case, who, watching us and observing our reactions from a distance. I nodded my head. "You're right. Let's go inside."