00. Introduction

+

+

I. Fifteen years old when she was ripped from her mother's arms as she was dragged away. Her father stood motionless in the corner with a bag of money in hand, not enough to pay for the three of them. The pirates laughed. Laughed how he wasn't man enough to take his wife's place, to leave a young lady without a mother. How young Sabine cried and screamed, wallowed as she followed them outside. No pleas to them nor the Father would be heard as her mother was thrown to the ground. The woman yelled at her daughter to look away. Pop. An incessant ringing deafened her as she dropped to her knees, eyesight blurry on the limp body of her mother. A pat on her head. Pirate's cruel laughter reverberated through the air as her life came crashing down.

Not long after did Sabine find herself on a big boat with luggage at her side. A nervous bubbling in her stomach made her feel sick, knowing where her father was pushing her off to. The Monastery was beautiful- large and expansive old castle with dimmed white bricks. Ivy climbing the walls and up kept gardens littered all about. While faith had been all she had to for years- she accepted her temporary vows with disdain in her blood as doubt pricked her mind.

II. Eight long years passed, and she'd yet to give herself to the Father- to take her permanent vows. The judging glances and murmurs burned, on how she still adorned the white veil after so many years of service.

Service. Her faith wavered. Rosary clutched in hand as the winds shrieked through the shattered stained glass of the church's nave. Pews splintered and smashed against walls. Flickering candles around her. Tears streamed her cheeks as the ghastly figure stalked around her as she chanted prayer after prayer. Her body shook. Chills up and down her spine. Red stained the tiled floors of the bishop she'd arrived with. Alone. Scared. Only a light guiding her as she rehearsed everything she remembered. Its black eyes and cursed lips screamed as it dissolved and churned. The small music box vibrated as the raven colored smoke succumbed to the words of the Father. Blood trickled from Sabine's eyes as she heaved, palms on the floor covered in broken glass that left her with bloodied cuts.

III. Every night was the same. Her sisters gathered around her shaking her calling her name, telling her it was okay as she screamed and writhed. The same figure haunted her dreams. Sabine eventually found the strength to request leave- a sabbatical- so there she sat in a cardinal's office with her plea. And it was heard. How her community looked up to her with awe that an un-vowed nun could keep such a demon at bay- that it made sense how she needed time. But Sabine needed to breathe. She needed to leave the monastery to experience a life she once had before her mother's death. Yearned for seeing girls her age laughing and drinking, wearing dresses she only dreamed of owning, dreaming of marriage to someone who loved her. For faith saw her through and she thanked Him everyday but, she could serve him as herself. Not with the restrictions. This sabbatical she prayed would show her what she truly wanted.