13. Blossoming Verities

DARKNESS. She could not see. Thick tendrils swarmed her as her limbs flailed, as she tried to swim upwards. Cold water pushed into her lungs as her head spun, as her lungs felt like they were exploding. Panic was all she could feel. A lone, empty type of ache and struggle. Eyes. She could feel them on her as she prayed to escape as her limbs started to give out. Just prayed as she began to sink into the liquid shadows; but a sudden splurge and she seemingly found a second wind. On her own. And finally, a sparkle of light gleamed through as her very own north star.

Her throat was hoarse when she tried to call out Mihawk's name, gingerly trying to touch him with her trembling fingertips.

Sabine was positive that it was him who sat at her side, eyes closed as his head rested against a fist. Her vision was blurry at best, as if her eyelids had been glued shut from how she had to pry them open. Disoriented, body feeling as if it'd been thrown from a boat and hit the waves too hard. But amidst the dull ache in her head, in her limbs, there was also an overwhelming sense of relief. Relief that she was waking up in bed not in that dreadful manor, but with Mihawk by her side and that he'd come for her.

It hurt to breathe as memories came back to her- the knife that plunged into her side. There's bandages as she touched along her abdomen, feeling the fabric of the wrappings, showing it wasn't a passing dream. She shuddered remembering how it felt to have the dive within her, how blood drained from it and it made her head woozy. It was a sickening feeling and one she tried to shake off, tried to breathe, swallow down her fears because she was alive. It was over.

"Mihawk." She rasped out, mouth dry, once more attempting to reach for him.

This time his eyes snapped open, body awake as he regained his surroundings in a record speed. Warmth. It was all she could see written on his face as he looked at her. Such care plastered in his actions as he moved his chair closer, took her hand into his own and carefully cupped her left cheek with his other. Dilated pupils, parted lips, the faintest of pink dusting his cheek bones as he let out a deep shuddered breath, clearly relieved.

No words were shared as their gazes connected and wicked sparks dazzled around them. A sense of comfort relayed between them with no words needed, content to be back with the other.

"How did you..?" Sabine finally broke their silence as sudden panic alighted in her chest as more came back to her, "The other girl, Eve, where is she?"

"Marines took her for medical care. Giorgio is dead."

Giorgio is dead. She swallowed hard, a mixture of confusion and solace came over her. It was if a piece of her was allowed to fly free, she was pounds lighter, the weight of her failures lifted, "I can't believe... I'm glad, in a way." A loss for words she found herself at. Like it was almost unbelievable.

"It's over. You have every right to feel the way you do."

But it wasn't all about her though, was it? She wasn't the only one impacted. In a way she could argue she never bore the brunt of the pain Giorgio caused."Do you know if.. Is she- Eve okay?"

"I imagine so. Her injuries were less immediate than yours. I'm sure the Marines will help her get back on her feet."

She nodded, thoughts still racing as she could recall them, "Did you.. Also see the girl in the basement?"

"No, but I heard about her after." His stomach sourced at the thought of what Sabine had seen down there. He heard whilst the doctor was working on Sabine that multiple marines got sick from the sight, the blood and tools. Which meant her eyes should never have had to see it, it angers him.

"Help me sit up?"

Mihawk helped Sabine as she let out a pained huff, face contorted with a flash of pain. He was gentle with her, careful where he placed his hands, and careful as he resituated the pillows behind her. He did not mind as she clung to him with extra strength behind the hold, barely using her own muscles to assist him. Like she was a doll he had to support her fully and he saw the shame in her tired eyes.