Chapter 27: Sunday Morning Showdown

Pastor Bennett's church sat ominously before him in the dark snowy morning. He could see both the Bennetts and his parents car, with many tracks leading inside. Eary sighed "Oh God! I hope we're not too late!"

Eary looked at Mote. "We have to hurry!" Mote replied."Yeah, kid, you're right. Quick make with the mental shield Ilia gave ya." With a wave of his hand, the teams' heads carried a faint purple mist around them. Mote nodded. "Good luck, and be careful! Remember, on my cue."

Eary nodded as Mote flew off with his team while Eary led Calvin, Mei, and Decan to the back door. As he approached the large metal door, his heart was beating into his chest. What would he find on the other side?

He opened the door. "Not locked." He thought as he rushed through. The halls inside were dark. Eary went to flip the switch. "No power," he thought.

He summoned an orb of blue light in his hand as he led the team further inside. Moving along, he checked the side rooms and the pastor's office. But no one was found. He knew where this led and headed straight to the cathedral. As he opened the door, a crack to peek inside.

There, in a row on the cathedral stage, were his family. They lay still, hopefully just sleeping from Johnathan's power.

The pews were full of stitched together monsters, while Tiddle stood at the podium, giving a profane sermon. "Welcome guests. We are congregated here to mark a celebration of Eldris. Our glorious lord and savior, who provides us with bounties..."

"YUCK!" Eary thought to himself

It appeared as if Mote and the others had yet to strike. The anticipation had Eary practically itching.

Eary tuned to Decan "When Mote strikes, we need to rush Tiddle. Get him pincered with his minions. A second later, Eary head Mote cries out, "Charge!" Eary and the others looked at each other. They knew what to do.

They burst through the doors, making their way across the stage at Tiddle, who was charging up his hands with darkness. Eary shot a burst of white flame, Tiddle turned to block. As the auras of light and darkness clashed on the stage, Calvin, Decan, and Mei rescued the two unconscious families. While Denby smashed and crashed wildly into Johnathan's troops, a swarm of Sakile's batons charged, bludgeoned, and shattered another force of horrors. Luke zipped and sliced at the bandages holding his pack together, while Alice stayed in the back, her eyes closed.

With a simple command from Mote, "Now!" Alice teleported Ben and the entire bestiary of the Star Gazer's hidden garden to the church. Ben rode the cockatrice with Riyoley spitting flames beside the boy. The cockatrice flashed a glare into the group of horrors, petrifying the lot. Alice swooped in and, with her telekinetic abilities, shattered the force.

Johnathan's darkness was powerful, and he Eary strained against the formidable dark magic. Johnathan shot a wave of darkness forward, through the flames. Decan ran between Eary and the attack, catching the darkness with his blade. He swung his blade forward, the power of Johnathan's darkness reflected back at him, and Eary's burst of light sent Tiddle flying.

Johnathan caught himself in mid-air, charging up his hands in swirls of darkness. He announced, "I'm so pleased you could join me.