♡ Chapter 40 ♡

Y/n covered her head with the hood of Taehyung's cloak as she slowly walked through the hallways.

The map showed the northern part of the mansion. There were short cuts to every part of the mansion from her father's old bedroom. With a heavy heart, she entered the room. All the memories started to flash in front of her eyes. She saw her six-year-old younger self running around the room, asking stupid questions of her father. She teared up when she almost heard the cheerful laughter of her dad bounce on the walls. She walked to the coffee table, which was in the corner of the room. She lightly touched the table, which was covered in thick layers of dust, which means that Tieran hasn't used her father's bedroom. Y/n was glad. Her eyes travelled to the pile of papers on the table. She softly pulled one out of the pile, which was a letter. It wasn't just a letter; it was a letter SHE wrote to her father while she was with Jungkook and weredragons. The letter was still in the envelope with the wax seal on it. The tears she was holding slipped from her eyes. Jungkook kept his promise. He had delivered every single letter she wrote to her father. Jungkook had done it even though her father wasn't there.

Y/n kept the letter back on the table and wiped her eyes with her hand. And started to follow the map again.

She was in the northern part of the mansion when she realized that she had never come to this part of the mansion, even though she had lived here for almost twenty years. It was really dark, and the small lamp in her hand wasn't helping much.

She stopped inside a small room and looked around. The room only had an old fireplace. She looked back at the map Chester gave her. As the map showed, this was supposed to be her destination, yet there was nothing but emptiness. Y/n crumpled the map in her hand and started walking around the room. Did Chester fool her? Was this a trap? She came near the fireplace, which looked like it hadn't been used in years, and bent down, observing it. She noticed that there wasn't ash but some dust around the fireplace, which showed that some human activity had happened here.

Y/n stared at the fireplace before reaching out and pushing the wall behind the firebox. The wall went back, giving some space to scoop inside it. Without minding the spider webs and dirt, y/n went in.

She raised the lamp in her hand to look around, but was only able to see a small alley trapped in brick walls. Y/n felt fear creeping inside her body. She had two choices. One to go back and stay in her room, thinking of other ways to save the dragon's or to take a risk and try to reach the dragons. And yes, as what happens in every horror movie, she decided to take the risk.

The atmosphere was dark and ominous, with a sense of danger looming around every corner. The sound of footsteps echoing off the walls and the shadows cast by the dimly-lit lamp she was holding made it feel like she was being watched. There were some moon rays coming in from a few holes in the brick walls, intertwining masses of black and grey, briefly illuminated by flashes of lightning that boomed through the night like evil laughter. The walls around her looked like rat-choked doll houses. The cold wind blew even into her bones.

Y/n walked into the darkness. All she could see were shadows, cells, stone walls, dirty stone floors, filthy straw scattered across the floor, chains fixed to walls, rats, shadows, iron bars, spiders, beetles, and roaches with the dim light of the lamp she was holding. There were also bones and skulls in the cells she passed through. There was an oily smoke hanging in the air.

The shadows of the iron bars moved along with her. Those walls couldn't hold a prayer, nor a spirit. Even though y/n tried to show that she was brave, deep inside she was terrified.

She didn't know if her mind was playing tricks on her. She didn't know if it was the fear in her that made her hear sounds, but she could hear screams. She couldn't make it clear if they were moans, cries, weeping, pleading, or swearing. She swears that she heard the sound of iron bars slamming shut, the creak of leather, chains clinking, the squeak and skitter of rats foraging, the hiss of steam, the slap and crack of a whip, the crunch of bone, and the rattling of chains.