07 | power of three

HER WHOLE LIFE, Lottie had never had a room of her own. Before Mary died, she'd bunked with Dean. And after that, when they lived on the road, John carting them from state to state, she still didn't have her own room. Sometimes, she wouldn't even have a room. Instead, exiled to the couch because John had completely forgotten he had three kids and not just his boys. She remembered some nights when Dean would let her sleep in his bed with him. It was always a tight squeeze and she'd had to deal with his feet in her face, but it was better than the couch, because it reminded her that no matter what, she would always have her family.

Now, she stood in her own room, alone and with no idea where her brothers even were. Negan had promised that they'd be okay, but she suspected that was a bit of a lie. He wanted her to cooperate, of course he was lying.

There was a single bed, a sturdy mattress and fresh sheets. An arm chair sat by the window, a thin blanket draped over the back of it. It was nice. Comfortable. Lonely.

She jumped when the door creaked open behind her, the sight of Negan walking in doing nothing to calm her nerves.

"So?" He questioned, a slight grin on his face as he watched her. "Is it up to your standards?"

"It's fine."

"You know, I would really appreciate it if you stop acting like I'm the devil incarnate," he said, stepping closer to her. "I saved you out there. You'd be dead if it weren't for me."

"I know I must sound like a broken record at this point,  but why won't you just let us go?" She answered. "You have a whole army of people here. You don't need us."

"Alright, say I let you go. Where would you go?"

"Home."

He nodded, rubbing a hand along his beard. "Okay. And where exactly is home? Is it just up the road? Huh? Is it an hour's drive away? Or do you not know?"

"We'll find our way back somehow," she said. "We always do."

"Well you wanna know what I think?" He asked. "I think the good old power of three ain't gonna cut it, not in this world. If I let you go, you'll be dead in a day. So why the hell would I cut you loose─send you to your deaths─when I could keep you here and we all win?"

"You don't know me and my brothers. We're stronger than you think."

"Well, I think I'll leave you to get settled in, alright?"

Lottie didn't say anything else as she watched Negan walk back towards the door, shutting it behind him and leaving her there alone. If Negan wouldn't let them go willingly, she'd have to find a way out on her own. And she would. Give it a few weeks and she'd be out of here with her brothers by her side. Negan didn't know her, but he would. Soon enough, he'd find out just how good of a soldier Lottie could be, and then he would never see her again.