Chapter 3- You can't leave me here alone

My heart stops, I can't breathe. I'm about to faint when I see Maya's hands still holding onto the Parapet for dear life. 

"Swing your lower body up," I shout. Her eyes flick over to me and I give her a little nod, she uses all her upper body strength and gets back on to the narrow path. Standing up again, she flashes me a smile and starts briskly walking towards me, her arms balancing her up. At the end she jumps onto me and tackles me in a hug. 

"That was bloody amazing," Maya grins. I stare back at her in horror. "Are you fucking insane? I can't believe you," I huff out. "You were so close to dying,".

I grab her into a hug, "You can't leave me here alone," I say. 

"Don't worry, I'm never leaving you,"

We make our way to the other people who have crossed, it seems smaller than before.

No shit

Sorry.

Apparently the names have already been called out, telling us which squad we're in. Me and Maya are together with another bunch of kids. We're in Fourth Wing, Flame Section, 2nd Squad.

Our wingleader is that really hot guy I saw before. Now that the fear of the Parapet has been crossed, I shamelessly check him out. He looked to be about at least 6'0. I wanted to run my hands through that beautiful, soft hair. He was jacked but not too jacked and his face. Oh gods, it was like the gods had spent forever on his face. Sculpting it to perfection. And those eyes, it was like the brightest blue, I've ever seen. They put the ocean to shame. His lips were even more perfect then the rest of his body. They were so kissable. A handful of freckles were littered across the bridge of his nose and his cheek. 

He looked like someone who had a really big ego, so when he caught me staring at him, I looked away, and pretended to talk to Maya, who had noticed me checking him out. 

"So our wingleader? Really?" Maya says with a cheeky tone. "Not that like I would admit it to him, he looks like he has enough girls feeding his ego already," I reply. 

"Oh fuck me," Maya sighs out. 

"Gladly" I say with a cheeky grin.

"No, my brother's our section leader, now I won't be able to fuck anyone," she grumbles. 

"If you ever need any help, I'll cover for you," I say with a wink. 

"Damn our squad leader is good looking to," she says eyes glued to a man with sandy blonde hair. "He's ok, our wingleader is-" she started to signal to me to cut off, so I turned around to be met with the collarbone of our wingleader. "Your wingleader is what?" he says staring at me with a twinkle in his eye. "nothing," I say too quickly. 

"Okay, love" he says, with a smirk. He smells like cigarettes and apples.

Blood rushes to my cheeks as he walks away. "I think he has a thing for you," Maya says coming up beside me. "No way, I'm like 2 years younger than him,". 

She starts saying something but we get cut off by a professor. 

"Okay, now you know what wings you are in, First Wing, your wingleader is Amelia, Second Wing, Benjamin, Third Wing, Olivia and Fourth Wing you have Brennan," 

"Brennan," I whispered under my breath, savoring the way the name effortlessly rolled off my tongue. There was a certain power and allure to it that resonated deep within me, igniting a spark of excitement. 

you'd like to scream that name wouldn't you?

Shut up. Shaking my head trying to get those thoughts out of my head. 

We headed up to our rooms, where we were given our schedules, it was two per room, I was bunked with Maya, which I was over the moon about.

Reading over the time table, Maya and I were conflicted because we only combat 2 times a week, that was our favourite. But we had Battle Brief first up which I equally loved. The thrill of having to think so fast when I'm out on the front lines was so exciting. 

"Breakfast, Battle Brief, lunch, dragons, dinner," Maya recited. 

"Maya, you've said that about 10 million times," I chuckle from my bed, we were allowed to retire to our rooms, only if we were at the mess by 7 sharp. It was 6:30.

"Well, I'm sorry not everyone can have photographic memory," she growled.

I raised my hands up in surrender, with a smirk on my face. She continued pacing the room and reciting the same sentence over and over again.

"Looking past your struggle with remembering the timetable, lets discuss a more pressing topic-" I start but get cut off by Maya, "Right let's talk about you and our wingleader,".

My cheeks heat up at the mere mention of him, trying to change the subject I glance at the clock. "It's 6:50 we should probably go to the mess for dinner," I say avoiding her intense gaze. Getting up, I put on my boots and headed out the door with Maya.

"Shit, I forgot the map in my room," Maya says starting to turn back. I drag her back, "Don't worry I remember where everything is," I say hurling her back to walk with me. 

She complied, grumbling about how it's not fair that she wasn't given photographic memory. I just rolled my eyes at her and walked to the mess.