eight

Wilbur

Matt sprays some of his cologne on me and pats the mist into my sweatshirt. I adjust my hair once more before grabbing my phone and my wallet.

Me: Hey, I'm leaving our room now

Skylar: okayyyy :))

I take a deep breath and turn to Matt with a small grin. "Wish me luck."

"Knock her dead!"

"I'll settle for a peck on the cheek." I tell him with a grin before stepping out of the room. My fingers nervously tap against my leg as I step into their building and approach their room. I knock my fist against the door and just hope that I don't mess this night up.

Marie opens the door, extremely giddy as she greets me. "Is that what you're wearing?" She keeps her smile as she judges my causal outfit.

"Shut up," I mumble, then realize she wasn't judging me as Skylar steps into view, also wearing a dark red sweatshirt with jeans.

"Someone's gonna have to change," Skylar says, putting her hands on her hips with a laugh. It's insane to me how she can be so strikingly beautiful yet so adorable at the same time.

"I'm a bit embarrassed. You look much better in the outfit than I do."

She shrugs and grabs her phone. "I do, but you still look nice, I guess."

Marie points at me and puts on a mad face. "Have her home by 10."

"Be quiet," I tell her with a grin, watching Skylar as she kisses Marie's cheek as a goodbye then steps out of the room.

"Where are we going?" Skylar asks, looking straight down the hallway as we walk.

"You'll see,"

"I hate surprises. My anxiety doesn't allow it."

"Too bad," I say, smiling down at her. She's not looking at me, but I can still tell she's smiling as well. Matt let me borrow his car, and we take a quick trip to a restaurant a few blocks away then to the park. I had ordered us food and drinks to pick up at the restaurant and put a blanket in the back. Skylar carries the blanket for me as we find a perfect spot in the park, right near a couple of benches and nice trees.

"A picnic. You and Marie have been talking." Skylar teases as we sit down on the laid out blanket.

"I may have asked her to ask you a date you'd like, whatever." I set the large paper bag full of food in between us, peeking inside. I smile as I see that they were able to add the extra request I wanted. I pull out the single rose, carefully avoiding the thorns, and hand it to her. "I have a bit of trauma from these."

She widely grins as she accepts it, admiring the bright petals. "They're still beautiful. How's your mouth feeling?"

Matt told me to act confident tonight, so I do. Hopefully she appreciates that. "You can check if you'd like."

Skylar rolls her eyes as she bites her lip, carefully setting the rose down next to her. "Yeah, you wish. Let's eat,"

I let out a quiet sigh of relief, glad that she doesn't hate me for that comment and instead blushes. I pull out our trays of food, which I also got tips from Marie for, and a glass of wine. Unfortunately, they supplied cheap plastic cups rather than nice glasses, but I guess I should've expected that.

"How'd you get the wine?" Skylar asks as we both start our meals.

"Got a friend at that restaurant." I explain, pouring some out for both of us.

We talk and eat as we watch the sun set over the horizon of the park. The dark sky full of clouds makes me a bit nervous, but I'm sure we'll avoid the rain. I make her laugh plenty of times, which I try to not let affect my ego. She's probably nervous and I'm not that funny, but I'll take it.