᥊ Episode 11 ᥊ - Whoever loses, we win

"THIS IS OUR LIVES ON HOLIDAYYYYYYYYYyYYY- fuck."

Goddamn voice cracks.

This is my twelfth run-through of Holiday and my voice keeps cracking. Willow says I need to take a break and "for god sake drink some water" but I can't stop now! The final round is today! I even convinced Willow to let me call in sick to school today so I had more time to practice but I get the feeling she's regretting that about now.

A few more hours of gruelling practicing pass before its time to leave. I dramatically walk down the stairs and give Willow the look of the hours, days, weeks, months of dedication I've poured into this one afternoon.

"The time has come."

She nodded and I went outside to wait for Rudy to pick me up. Its strange, beyond all the fear and ferocity that I had to put into this one afternoon, I was generally just really excited to see everyone again. It's been a little while since everyone has all been together in that theatre again. Me, Ramone, Blaze (of course she's coming to support us), Rudy, Rudy's car (which is somehow has a more personal connection to me than Rudy himself), that dickhead Oscar the Grouch who we absolutely annihilated last time, Adrienne, and the idiot geniuses that set up this whole thing.

I feel like I've come a long way from the antisocial obnoxious nervous teenage girl who walked into that theatre last month. Though, I imagine jamming out one of your favourite songs with your idol would do that to a person.

I'm a tiny bit scared I won't know what to do next. My life has revolved around this competition for the past two months in both preparation and participation, so I'm worried that I won't really know what to do with myself or what will happen with my friends when we all go back.

My deep musing was interrupted by Rudy's large red car pulling up to the driveway. I waved Willow goodbye, she saluted me and mouthed 'good luck', and Rudy drove me off to the theatre.

"So, pretty exciting, huh?", he asked.

I nodded.

"What song are you gonna do?"

"Holiday."

"Nice, nice..."

The silence built up...

"What the hell, you look more dramatic than fuckin Macbeth in the final act!", he exclaimed.

I was about to justify myself before I raised my eyebrow and said, "Macbeth what?"

He smiled, "There she is. And don't blame me, we gotta study that shit in Literature this year. Speaking of, where the hell have you been?"

"I thought I told you, I played hooky so I could practice today," I explained.

"Not that, I mean for like the past month, you've barely been in school since this whole competition started," he said.

"What the hell are you talking about? I've been going to all my classes," I told him.

"Really? Cause Ella told me she's barely seen you at recess and you've been blowing her off all the time," he scolded me as if he was my dad.

"I... Well, why do you even care? Its not like Ella's my best friend or something, we barely even talk," I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, evidently!", he exclaimed, "You used to have a life, Harley. Y'know, besides all this Green Day stuff but I'm just worried you're letting this obsession take over your whole life."

I couldn't believe him, "Jesus, I thought you were cool with this. And hey big shocker, this little obsession could get me an actual career someday. I had a jam sesh with a guy who's won fucking awards! You're telling me that's not getting me a life?"