The Note.

The ink was still wet, so Lucerys read his own letter more than five times before he could roll it up. The boy had no plans to give it to anyone; in fact, he would hate for anyone to find it. He had written it only for his disposal, and its contents were addressed to only one person. His pulse trembled a little, he could hear the hubbub in the castle, much of the service was moving to get into the ship. And all because of him.

His Uncle Aegon and Aunt Helaena had married and had children, and for all those years they had not been invited to King's Landing. They hadn't seen them since the accident at Driftmark. And they had spent some six years of peace and quiet totally apart from the Greens. A pity that good things don't last forever, something in the air told the prince that this trip would end in tragedy. And if it didn't happen there, then it would happen soon after they were reunited. He had also lost his father, Prince Leanor, supposedly murdered, a few days after Luke and Aemond's accident.
The good thing would be that they would get to see their grandfather, Viserys, again. And they would also get to meet againg with sweet Helaena and her two sons. Maybe they could have time to tour the castle where he and Jacaerys grew up. His brother might be willing to talk about Harwin Strong, something he had always refused to do.

But that was precisely why they had been called to court. Because they were both bastards, and everyone knew it. They might not be to blame for it, but Lucerys was aware that they both enjoyed rights that were not theirs, at least not his. For Jacaerys was, after all, as much Rhaenyra's son as he was, and promised to be a great king, with the blood of kings and the queen his mother would one day become. But for Luke it is different. His greatest inheritance was from the blood of his father, Leanor Velaryon, whose blood he clearly did not share at all. His grandfather had been (and he prayed he still was, wherever he was) a great captain, a fearsome sailor, and the sea was part of him. Luke was also a son of dragons, but not of sailors, and even he thought it was unfair to command above those true soldiers. He could never say so, even if he thought he could avoid conflict with Vaemond Velaryon. To admit that he does not want the throne of Driftmark would be to admit that he is not a true Velaryon and that would embarrass his mother, strip her of her future crown instantly and also humiliate her utterly in the eyes of the seven kingdoms. He could never do that, he would die first, that was the duty of a prince, and that is what he was thanks to his mother.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder, startling him, Luke crumpled the paper, but making just enough noise for Rhaenyra to notice.

"It's time to board, Luke...what have you got there?"

The princess gave him her usual smile, cocked to one side, slightly mischievous but never losing the tenderness, a tenderness Luke knew was only for him and his siblings.

"Nothing, Mother...an old message? I think it's from Jace" he lied, turning red, clearly.

"Of course," he knew he was lying, but Rhaenyra was far too much of an adult now to be so hesitant, much less her children. "Come on, we're waiting for you."

They set off together, before boarding, Luke stroked his dearest Arrax's forehead. Jacaerys was already settled on the ship, though Luke could see a bored expression on his face. Clearly they preferred dragon riding. It was faster, more fun, a thousand times better than a boat. Sadly, it was what they had to do when there were also children as young as Joffrey, Aegon and Viserys.

"Aren't you afraid Arrax will forget about you all this time?" The eldest asked him.

"We're not going to be at King's Landing that long, Jace," he teased. Though he couldn't be so sure either. Even he didn't believe what he was saying but Luke had always wanted to keep the balance between him and Jace, as he would never feel on his level. If Jace is more cautious, Luke is more direct, if Jace is more pessimistic, Luke is more positive. Both were willing to do anything for each other, though, and that night on Driftmark proved to be unconditional proof of brotherhood. "Besides, you should be glad. You're going to see Baela."