Targaryen's thirst.

Alicent's handwriting still retained those precious "a"s that Rhaenyra had always tried to copy but never succeeded in doing so. She had long since resigned herself to watching her write when it was their turn to spend the entire afternoon with the Septa, and Rhaenyra had been a little less resigned to watching Alicent as she wrote at the table during meetings. It was hard for her to imagine all those precious letters strung together with words of treachery and war. Barely able to assimilate the information, by the fifth attempt, Rhaenyra could understand that she wanted to meet her at Harrenhal.

She rolled the paper between her fingers, quickly wiped away the first tear that fell down her face, and before she could get another, the guards warned of a new arrival. And now her grief turned to pure nervousness and anxiety. Everyone knew who it was, and when she came out, Jace and Luke were already ready, in front of the door, ready to accompany their mother. Caraxes landed with a roar, and though Daemon approached her quietly, his gaze said his mind was uneasy, and a torrent was coming his way.

"Daemon," the Queen greeted him, "I am glad to see you safe and sound." She tried to sound cheerful, though she herself felt the words were hard for her.

"Your Majesty, you shouldn't have worried about my well-being either since there hasn't been a fucking battle to die in." He didn't kneel or kiss her, his manner oscillating between mockery and annoyance.

"You should be content, war is not a pleasant thing, husband."

"And neither is wasting time, Rhaenyra. You better have a good explanation." Daemon stepped dangerously close to her, the clink of his armour sending a shiver down Rhaenyra's spine.

"Or what, Father?" interrupted Jace. They turned to look at him, Rhaenyra and Luke staring at him in panic, Daemon in pure confusion. "Do you not take orders from your queen?"

"I am not willing to allow such bullshit, to defend a throne you must be willing to fight for it. I have come expecting the pleasure of killing Otto and his bitch of a daughter myself." He then looked at Luke and put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm glad to see you're okay, boy...though always with that scary look on your face."

"Come on in, we'll explain everything." Rhaenyra rested her hands on her husband's chest, trying to draw Jace's attention away from him.

The walk to the main hall was filled with quizzical and frightened looks at the presence of the Rogue Prince, but Rhaenyra was used to it by now. She caught a glimpse of Aemond in one of the corridors, and was glad that Daemon had not seen him. Luke saw him too, however, and he found it hard to look away from the place. His face filled with sorrow, and Rhaenyra watched as Jace picked him up tenderly and looked away, whispering something in his ear that no one could hear, then ruffled his hair affectionately. Something had happened and she didn't know it yet.

Daemon sat up noisily, leaving his sword on the table and cross-legged but half lying back in his chair. Ser Corlys and Rhaenys had appeared in the room as well, ready to help Rhaenyra.

"I don't see anything interesting here. And I was promised that this was where I could finally get justice. But there is nothing here but pieces of wood that are still where they were when I left here" Daemon said.

"Otto will not attack our army. That's our theory, and so far it's holding true," Rhaenys explained.

"And you think it's out of the goodness of his heart?" the prince laughed.

Someone's slow footsteps caused a general head turn. When Rhaenyra turned, she saw him approaching, no patch to cover that glowing eye. Daemon sat up.

"My Grandsire will not attack until I am at King's Landing." Aemond's soft voice seemed to mimic Daemon's mocking tone.