Chapter 5

The second time Ed and Stede fell into bed together was far less platonic and innocent than the first.

Stede was clearly nervous and excited, but they worked together in bed the same way they worked to beat back the storm.

They were so deliciously in sync in a way that was deeply rare for anyone but those who'd known each other intimately for a long time. When Ed slid his hand over Stede's collar and dipped his head to press a kiss at the curve of his neck, it felt like the hundredth time he'd done it instead of the first. He knew the sound that Stede would make - a soft moan from the back of his throat that tumbled past pursed lips - before he made it.

Ed pressed his lips to play the instrument of Stede's arousal again. He was rewarded with a sound similar to the first, but exhaled with more abandon and with a delightful vibration of his chest.

Stede seemed to know just how to touch Ed without being told. He looked him in the eye as often as he could instead of staring at his body or the gallery of tattoos. He was making a very intensive effort to keep a connection between them, which was something Ed had been sorely lacking with his other lovers.

"Listen," Ed murmured as he draped himself atop Stede and bumped their noses together...

Stede stole a kiss and caressed Ed's back before he stilled and looked up at Ed with wide, enamored eyes.

It was a look that both thrilled and terrified Ed. What had he done to make someone look at him like that? Let alone someone who was a stranger only a little over a day ago?

"Mhmm?" Stede intoned as he gently swept a strand of Ed's hair up and over his ear.

Their trip to the bed had started with a flurry of stripping clothes worthy of an R-rated Hollywood spectacle. But both had calmed and slowed the moment they were undressed and could touch each other as more than acquaintances, and more than friends.

"I know I promised to teach you," said Ed as he shifted to rest his chin on Stede's chest. "But while I can improvise some lube, I don't have any condoms. Don't suppose you brought any?"

"Ah, no, no. I didn't bring any condoms on my solo glamping adventure. Which I'm on because I'm avoiding signing my divorce papers."

"Point taken," Ed rumbled. "Ah well. We'll just have to be a little vanilla to start. But not...too vanilla." He winked and grinned, his eyebrows arching up to his hairline, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "That fancy vanilla, with the little dark flakes in it. That's really rich and creamy. Goes well with apple pie."

"Vanilla bean?" asked Stede as he trickled his fingers down Ed's spine.

"That's the one." Ed made sure he was watching Stede carefully as he shifted enough to slide his hand down between them. He passed his hand between Stede's leg, then rubbed the inside of his arm in the sensitive spot where this thigh connected to his hip, making sure to graze the most sensitive part of Stede's body as he drew it up.

Ed felt the results of his work as their bodies pressed together, and he saw the results as Stede bit his lower lip.

"I think...vanilla will be just fine, thanks," said Stede hoarsely.

"One scoop..." Ed kissed Stede again and slid his hand down along the front of his stomach to grip him firmly, "...or two?"

What Ed expected was for Stede to lean back and let Ed do his work, which he was very good at.

Instead, Stede lifted his head, matched Ed's slightly manic grin, and reached down between them. "Two," he said, then quite fearlessly gripped in return.