Chapter 1

Me and Nora had always been friends, even when they came and took us away from our families. We stayed together, being each other's last semblance of normalcy, we grew close.

The day we were ripped from our lives we had been exploring the woods behind our new house on Copper-9. We had gotten too close to some kind of research facility and before we could even head back the world went dark.

When I woke up I was in a white room. Looking around I saw Nora on the other cot across from me, she was the only other thing in the room. As I got up off the cot Nora began to wake "Alex, where are we?" She said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "I don't know," I responded. That was the last day we saw our families.

3 Years Later

It's been so long since we've been outside,seen the sky, or do anything other than follow the scientists' orders. We've had hundreds of tests run on us, only staying sane because we have each other. Today is our fifteenth birthday, I think I've lost track of time a long time ago. "Nora, wake up" I say softly while nudging her. "What's going on?" she says bleary eyed. "Remember yesterday" I say while moving back to my side of the room. "Oh yeah, didn't they say today was like, the big test or something?" She says sitting up "Yeah, something about 'the day they've all been waiting for' I think" I say while gesturing exaggeratedly in the air. Just then the door to our cell opened and two armed guards walked in. An order to 'follow' was said by one before turning back towards the door, me and Nora falling in line behind the first guard.

As we follow them down the long white hallway we notice a lot of the scientists gathered watching us. Some looked victorious, others looked slightly sympathetic, this was worrying. The last time one of the researchers looked sympathetic it was before one of the most painful tests in my life. We stopped in front of a large metal door, which one of the guards opened using a keycard."Move" one of the guards said, jabbing me in the back with his rifle, almost knocking me over, being helped by Nora. They directed us to two operating tables and had us both lay down. Soon they put the mask over my face,doing the same to Nora, and the world went black.

I dreamt about how our life used to be on the planet Copper-4, but our parents' jobs forced us to move here. I don't even remember what my parents look like or what actual food tastes like. My dreams take a darker turn and I feel trapped in a metal cage in the freezing cold, everything hurting as I scream out into the black abyss. Then it all stopped, I was floating in a dark expanse, looking around I saw Nora floating there with a confused look "Alex, is that you or is my mind just cooking some weird stuff up" she says as you both drift closer. "I was going to ask the same thing to you" I said, looking at her. We both just sat there for a few seconds "Ok, do you kno-" She was cut off by an incredibly loud sound causing both your ears to begin bleeding. Then the cold returned.