Chapter 5

One month later......Alex's Pov

We had finally settled down together, the base was now more of a home, and was much more furnished. Nora was packing for an adventure she decided we would go on, Doll was helping her by grabbing some things. "Doll, before we go I should give you something to use as a weapon" I said, she nodded and walked over to me. "I'm going to put you in sleep mode so that you don't feel any pain, okay?" She nodded her head again.Putting Doll into sleep mode, I grabbed my tools. Welding blades to the end of her finger and forming them to be like ours, I gave her claws that could rend another drone to shreds. Once the procedure was done we woke up Doll, who was very excited to have her new claws. She flexed them a bit, doing some slashing motions and grabbing her stuff. Heading out the door we made our way towards the edge of the city, Nora held Doll's hand as she teleported. As we kept walking through the wastelands of Copper-9 I began to notice how worker drone corpses became more frequent. Entering the city that neighboured the one we live in, Nora spotted something that made her stop immediately teleporting her and Doll into cover, I followed her quickly. In the building she had teleported in I could hear the sinister cackling of a murder drone, "Come out come out wherever you are little drone" said a male voice with a heavy German accent. I turned to Nora, using my screen to display a plan quietly, Doll opened and closed her claws in anxiety.

Serial Designation A POV

I could hear those toasters in the building, no doubt planning an ambush for me. Taking off, I hovered over the building waiting, the workers here had recently begun militarizing making it hard to kill them. They had heavily armored themselves attaching firearms and some even took wings from my squad mates when their ambushes were successful. They were insane, using each other's corpses as spare parts. One faction of these workers called themselves Wendigo Hunt. They were a group of cannibalistic workers heavily modified, they were all very dangerous. A key factor in identifying members of the hunt was their antlers and orange eyes. They captured SD-H a while back and once we rescued her she was never the same, said something about using her for parts and frying her with the sun. No matter how many times we kill them they always rebuild themselves bigger, stronger and more ruthless. Suddenly I was broken from my thoughts when I heard the soft running of worker drone feet, letting an internal sigh of relief when it wasn't the signature heavy thump of a Hunt clansmen. I looked over the roof to see a worker child running out of the building, when me and my squad first made landfall we had a strict rule: children were off limits. That rule was terminated when SD-C learned how sadistic kids can be, now we have a new rule: show no mercy. I dove down towards the child, claws outstretched, then I heard thumping footsteps. They were different from a huntsman's and lighter than a WDC-dreadnaught, I felt claws wrap around my neck yanking me to the ground away from the child. The unknown drone flung me into a nearby building, knocking me to the floor. As I got up I got a better look at the drone, it was tall, it had short dark purple hair and red eyes. It glared at me, its razor sharp claws dripping with fresh oil. The child quickly ran over to it, I noticed they had the same hair and eyes, and suddenly another drone appeared in a cloud of red code. This one appeared to be female, also sporting the same color of eyes and hair. I noticed something that all three drones had in common other than their hair and eyes, they all wore dark red leather eyepatches.'Maybe they're a new faction or something' I thought as I radioed my squad for back up, it didn't take long for C and H to arrive. The three got into a fighting stance as did me and my squad, I noticed the child didn't seem to sure of herself and a bit nervous. Years of fighting little sadists I recognized this as something that signified her as the smallest threat, usually they look ready or excited to fight. 'Focus on the older two, take the child later' I transmitted to my squadmates, who nodded. We leapt at the older two drones, I delivered a slash to the female while H and C took on the male. She didn't seem to be an experienced fighter but made up for it with sheer power and durability. I got slashed across the face, my tail got ripped off, I had to end this quickly. 'EMP them' I transmitted, pulling out my EMP, the others doing the same. One quick blast knocked the two down as we prepared to finish them off.

Doll's POV

I watched as my new family fell. It happened just like with the first one, knocked down by EMP. I watched tears streamed down my visor until something snapped and I saw red. They were not going to take my family from me, not when I was given a second chance.

Back to SD-A's POV

I felt my claws stop, C's and H's did too. All of a sudden I felt like I was grabbed and flung into a wall, my arm got ripped off. The same thing happened to my squadmates, I looked up and saw the child we had thought of as the lowest threat. A look of broken hatred was spread across her face which was stricken with tears, her left eye was replaced with a strange symbol. The same symbol floated on her hand. Rebar sprung from the ground trapping us, we saw her lift a lamp post into the air, duplicating it by three and everything went dark.

_______________________________________________________________________ACWD is the Allied Confederacy of Worker DronesI'm going to make a fic for Squad Alpha so they have a backstory(ps: they're not dead)