Chapter 3

As we made our way to the center of the city, I started to notice dead worker drones. Slowing down I kneeled to inspect one of the corpses, registering the slash marks and bullet holes. Nora teleports back to me and we proceed to make our way towards the center with considerably more caution. As we turn the corner I see a spire of dead drones extending high into the sky. I notice two worker drones making their way towards one of the buildings, panic written on their faces. I duck behind a car, grabbing Nora, as a shadow passes over us. I look back towards the drones and see another drone swoop down from above killing one of the drones and going to attack the other. The drone has a yellow X on its visor, wings,sharp knife-like claws, and looks a bit taller than the workers. 'Disassembly drones' my memory supplies, remembering my dad talking about them. It finishes off killing the other drone which I realize also has purple hair and red eyes like us.Interesting. It turns its head to the left and I notice a worker child hiding in the building, I point this out to Nora, who gains a determined face. "I'll grab the kid you hold that thing off" she says, I nod.

3rd Person POV

The murder drone began to make its way over to the child, who just watched her parents get mauled. She prepared for death as the DD pounced at her, but it never came.She felt a pair of arms gently pick her up off the ground. Opening her eyes she looked up to see the face of another drone with red eyes and purple hair looking down at her. "Everything will be alright" the mysterious drone said softly, then the child fell asleep.

V's POV

I jumped at the small toaster, ready for dessert. All of a sudden this cloud of red code appeared and a strange drone walked out. The drone was tall, taller than me and wore a trench coat, stopping myself in mid air with my wings stared at the mysterious drones red eyes. Eyes that were full of disdain, I then noticed another drone behind it picking up my kill. The other drone was female and dressed similarly to the one in front of me. I growled and jumped at the first drone ready to skewer him, something stopped me. I looked to see the drone had grabbed by the neck, which I tried to escape from. I could feel sharp claws digging into my shoulder as it ripped my arm off. I screamed in pain as it slammed me into the ground, grabbing my visor with its other clawed hand and ripping my face off. I then passed out due to the pain.

Alex's POV

The DD crumpled to the ground as me and Nora teleported away. Once we were far enough away we entered a run down building. Nora laid the kid down and we sat down next to each other as she slept. "That was intense," Nora stated, referring to the way I dispatched the DD. "Did I do too much?" I ask tentatively, she laughs "No, doofus, that was epic" She says, giving me a good natured punch. I laugh with her, our laughter wakes the kid up. I scan her to see what language I should speak, Russian, it reads. "Where am I" the kid says sitting up, then giving a frightened yelp when she notices us. "Do not worry we will not hurt you" I say, Nora asks the kid "What is your name, small one" she says "Doll" Doll responds, "How old are you" I ask "eight" She responds, my eyes widen. "Do not worry Doll" Nora says "We will keep you safe"

Doll nods her head and I notice something in the corner of me and Nora's visor.

[Downloading Parental Instincts]

[Downloading Responsibleness]