Prologue

"Watch carefully, for this is how we of the nine use our power."

A stunned Grisha Yeager watched as the man known as Eren Kruger slit his palm open, transforming into a 15-meter-tall Titan with a muscular body, green eyes, and short brown hair. The Titan lifted the transport boat from its mooring at the docks and ripped it apart as if it were nothing. The Titan then proceeded to brutally slaughter every soldier present. The water was stained red with blood and filled with thousands of pieces of debris.

His slaughter complete, Kruger turned back to the wall and leaned down before exiting his Titan and approaching Grisha. Blood dripped from his nose, prompting Kruger to reach into his pocket for a handkerchief. Grisha was stunned at what he had just witnessed and Kruger could see as much. He didn't blame Grisha either because he would have reacted similarly had their positions been reversed.

Kruger: Your confusion is warranted. I'm sure you have many questions, but I haven't the time to answer them all.

Grisha: What? Why?

Kruger: Because my time is running out. As you just witnessed, I possess one of the nine Titans, which means I am a subject of Ymir like you.

Grisha: But how? How did you enter Public Security without them knowing?

Kruger: I had a doctor's assistance in passing the blood tests. Doctors make excellent spies. You are a fine example of that.

Grisha: How I wish that were so. I was so blinded by revenge and justice that I failed to see I was treating my son the way my father had treated me growing up. 

Kruger: You did what needed to be done. Now I need you to finish what we started.

Grisha: How? I am without allies, information, or the means to survive the journey to the walls. How can you expect me to continue when I have nothing? All I have to show for my efforts is failure.

Kruger: You will continue our mission by inheriting the Titan within me. The restoration movement must live on.

Grisha: Why did you only save me? Dina could have made better use of your Titan, yet you let them turn her into a mindless monster. So why? WHY SAVE ONLY ME?!

Kruger: Had they known she possessed royal blood, she would have been bred like livestock and forced to give birth to many children to produce a new line of Titan heirs. That fate is far worse than the one she has now. Letting them turn her was a mercy.

Grisha: How can you say that I'm the one who will finish the mission when I failed so spectacularly?

Kruger: It is because you failed that I know you're the only one who can do this. No restorationist knows defeat better than you. 

Kruger suddenly fell to his knees, bleeding from his nose. Grisha grew concerned and knelt in front of him.

Grisha: What's wrong?

Kruger: The founder Ymir lived for 13 years after gaining her powers. Since none can surpass her, each wielder is cursed to die 13 years after inheriting their Titan and my term has ended. If I die without passing my Titan on, it will be inherited at random by a child born of Ymir's blood.

Grisha: I don't have a choice do I?

Kruger: You always have a choice. Would you rather leave your mission incomplete and watch our people suffer until the end of time or inherit my Titan and see your duty fulfilled?

Grisha: I don't even know what the mission is anymore. I don't think I ever did.

Kruger: The mission is simple. The king refuses to take action and defend his people despite knowing the hardships they face. That is nothing more than the action of a coward. A coward who must be dethroned. Your goal is to find this weakling and strip him of his power.

Grisha: How?

Kruger: By doing the same thing you did in Marley, spying by using your skills as a doctor. Once you reach the walls, you should start a family. Be it your wife or your child, love someone within the walls. Do not let history repeat itself or Eldia will be finished.

Kruger reached into his shirt and produced a bottle of Titan serum along with a needle. While he filled the needle with serum, he looked at the sprawling dunes before him. His eyes widened as if he'd seen something strange but his expression quickly returned to normal.

Grisha: What is it?

Kruger: Nothing.

He finished filling the needle and discarded the bottle.

Kruger: Each of the nine has a name to describe it. That includes the Titan you're about to inherit from me. For centuries this Titan has marched in the vanguard, ever pushing forward for freedom, and for freedom's sake, it fights. It's called the Attack Titan.

He inserted the needle into Grisha's neck and injected the fluid.

(Several years later)

Doctor: Come on Mrs. Yeager, I need you to push. You're almost there!

Grisha held his wife's hand as she was giving birth to their children so she could feel some form of comfort.

Grisha: You can do this Carla.

Doctor: Ready? 3, 2, 1, and push!

Carla: Dammit this hurts. AAAGGGHHH!!!

After several hours of labor, the ordeal was over and Carla was able to hold her newborn children in her arms. Both she and Grisha were overjoyed at the sight of their two sons.

Grisha: They're beautiful Carla. What should we name them?

Carla: Why don't you decide?

Grisha: Are you sure?

Carla: Yes. I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfect.

Grisha smiled and began thinking of two names for his boys. While he was deep in thought, an image came to mind. It was the man who made his new life possible, Eren Kruger. Deciding to name one of his sons after his savior, Grisha quickly came up with a good name for the other.

Carla: You've decided already, haven't you? I can tell.

Grisha: Yes. The one with green eyes will be Eren and the one with blue eyes will be...Y/n.

Carla: Those are wonderful names for our two wonderfully cute boys.

Grisha: I'm glad you agree.

 As the legend goes, twins have an unexplainable bond. That could not have been more true in the case of Eren and Y/n. They grew up inseparable and were always there for each other, no matter what.