Chapter 6 - Part I & II

I

I

We sat at the table and enjoyed the dinner while listening to the sea and feeling the fresh sea air. The outdoor area at Thomas' flat has terrific space for parties and receptions. There is a small kitchen in the background. I did not notice it before. Thomas looks more accessible while doing ordinary things like having dinner at home under this astonishing sky.

"This food is amazing," I praise the food after a long silence.

"Lueji is going to be happy to know that you liked it," he answers, but he doesn't look at me.

That makes me a bit sad, I am afraid of being inconvenient. Also, this seesaw of Thomas' attitudes makes me confuse.

"Lueji? Is it a name?"

"Yes, Lueji is my employee. He and his brother, Keza, work for me."

He finally looks at me, his eyes are distant.

"Lueji has made the dinner for you."

"For me?" despite I'm upset, I get surprised.

"Yes, for you. I don't have meals at home," he explains with indifference.

Does that mean he is having dinner here because of me? I heard murmurs in satisfaction. But there is something I know for sure: I am not supposed to feel that important like I feel now, but I give him a chance. I was bitten up because of Thomas, then it is fair that he treats me well.

"Is he here? I'd like to thank him," I give an embarrassed smile.

"Lueji went shopping, he'll be back soon."

Thomas has a mouthful of the watermelon juice, and I can't help but stare at him. His body is not as buff as it's likely to see out there, but he is not a short man. Thomas is tall, and he is ripped, it is visible without the jacket. Yes, I am a masochist for desiring what I can't have. But he looks like a damned catalog model! He is lean on the right parts, and charming in the wrong moments. I try to convince myself that staring doesn't hurt, and I let my eyes travel over him like a hungry feline. I'm practically a celibate, but I'm not dead.

"Where are they from?" I ask because I those were not ordinary names.

"Keza and Lueji are Angolans," Thomas gives a half-smile. "You're such a sharp-eyed, aren't you?"

His black eyes move away from the plate and stare at me with a joy gleam. My cheeks burn. A simple compliment and I am blushing. If he touches me again, maybe I will have a heart attack.

"It wasn't that hard to guess," I try not to smile. "The exotic names make me wonder."

"Don't need to be modest, Sarah. You must be proud of your skills," he praises, but it sounds like a warning.

"Actually, it was not a big thing," I say in disregard.

I carefully lean my left arm on the table, and this movement makes the cuts on my skin burn. My face creased with pain.