I'm Sorry

It had been a day or two since I'd brought Oscar to Monstra. He was a nice guy, and only a year younger than me. He was the only person I could really call a friend, and he made me laugh for the first time in years.

You never realize how empty your life has been until you do something that brings you joy for the first time in a while. I spotted Hazel headed for Oscar's cell and slipped in with him, albeit my semblance was active.

I always would slip in with Hazel, just to hear what they said. I couldn't watch most of it, but listening I was fine with. I would usually watched only the first couple minutes before turning away.

"Great." Oscar said as we walked in and I hid behind a bone spike. Hazel picked Oscar up and slammed him against another bone spike. "You don't need to fight this war, kid. Tell me what I need and we can be done." my brother said.

Oscar's eyes flashed yellow, showing that Ozpin was now in control. Oscar had told me about switching places with Ozpin, but I'd never seen it. "Hello Hazel." Ozpin said.

Hazel got angry quick. "Coward! All this time, it could have been you, but you let him suffer." he said, tossing Ozpin to the floor. My hands curled into fists. While it may have been Ozpin speaking, it was still Oscar's body. He didn't deserve this. He didn't do anything to us.

"Now tell us how this damned Lamp works. The boy has suffered enough." Hazel said. Ozpin stood up. "Why do you follow her?" he asked. Hazel kicked Ozpin hard enough to knock him down again.

"I know...(cough) I know how you see me. But her? Look at what she does. How is she the answer? Why not stop her?!" Ozpin asked. Hazel stopped and looked away. He walked over to the bone spike I was behind.

"Salem can't be stopped. She's a force of nature. I've seen it firsthand. But you..." Hazel said. He snapped the tip of the bone spike off, causing me to back up slightly.

Hazel started to walk over to Ozpin, sharpening the bone spike on the metal plate on the back of his hand. "You send people to their deaths for a cause that you know has no victory, no end!" Hazel yelled.

"Someone has to try! Salem isn't a force of nature because Salem can be fought! Unless she brings the Relics together. If that happens--" Ozpin was interrupted by Salem, who was now standing in the doorway.

"Ozma. You have wonderful timing. The show is about to begin. And Hazel, go find your sister." she said. Hazel nodded and I quietly made my way out the door and to the room that Hazel and I shared.

I deactivated my semblance and Hazel came in not too shortly after. "Come on. We've been summoned." he said. I got up and followed him to the throne room.

We kneeled with Oscar, Tyrian, Cinder, Mercury, Neo, and Emerald. Salem was sitting on her throne, the Hound by her side. Salem got up, walking in front of Cinder before moving over to Tyrian.

"We have good news. Tyrian has heard from our dear colleague Watts. Although he remains in captivity, it seems that he has worked with Ironwood to gain some control over the puppet masquerading as the Winter Maiden. I suppose he remains useful after all." Salem said.

She turned her attention to Cinder. "Speaking of which... Cinder." she said. Cinder's Grimm arm started to hiss and smoke, causing her to cry out in pain and try to hold her arm still.

"You chose to disobey my specific instructions just to fail again. And I've realized, it's all my fault." Salem said. Cinder's arm stopped moving. "You've fought your whole life unwaveringly for what you want and here I am holding you back instead of lifting you up." Salem said.

She held out her hand to Cinder, which Cinder put her Grimm hand on. "You deserve so much more than I've given you. Go to Atlas, recover Watts. He can lead you to the girl. Whether you or my Hound get to her first, you will finally have the Winter Maiden's power, and I will have my Staff." Salem said.

"You'll only be helping her bring about the end, for all of you!" Ozpin screamed. Hazel slammed him against the ground before holding him up as Salem approached. "You're too late." she said.

The smoke cleared so we could see Atlas. The shield to the kingdom was disabled. "It's time." Salem said. Monstra swooped down and landed in one of the farms.

It opened its mouth and released even more Grimm liquid, spawning bunches and bunches of Grimm. We all left on Salem's command, Hazel taking Ozpin back to his cell and me heading back to our room.

When Hazel came in I posed the question, "Is what we're doing to Oscar right?" Hazel stared at me, blank faced for a moment before responding. "Of course. We're getting revenge and we need the password for the Lamp. He deserves it." he said.

"But does Oscar deserve it?! He didn't do anything to us! Why is he the one to suffer?!" I yelled, standing up hastily. Hazel looked a little stunned. I'd never yelled at him before.

He shook off his shock before responding, "He's the same person, what difference does it make?" I gave a small gasp before my hands balled into fists and I activated my semblance.

I ran out of the room, Hazel calling after me. I ran through the halls of Monstra, not really knowing where I was going before I realized. I was heading for Oscar's cell.

I made sure no one was around before opening the door and going in. I sighed as the door shut behind me and I deactivated my semblance. "Who am I speaking with?" I asked. "Ozpin." my friend said.

"That's kinda what I was hoping for." I said. "What happened to my parents? I never knew the full story." I said. "Hmm. I thought you'd ask about that at some point. Come. Sit." Ozpin said, gesturing for me to sit next to him on the ground.

I sat next to him, ready to hear what actually happened. I didn't care how much it hurt, I just wanted to know the truth. "Your parents were some of the best Huntsmen I've ever laid my eyes on. They were skilled, but they also had passion. I let them in on what was actually happening and they chose to fight against Salem with me. One day, I gave them a choice. A choice between a regular mission, or one that would risk their lives to save thousands." Ozpin said.

"They chose the risk." I said. "They did. I gave them the details about the mission. The mission was to go retrieve a special type of dust that sizzles with green energy. Lanergic dust. Lanergic dust is a type of dust that is very powerful and very reactive. A large cluster of it had been found in an old, abandoned mineshaft in Mistral. Their job was to get it out of the mineshaft before it collapsed, wiping out three towns in the neighboring area. They went into the mineshaft and were able to get the Lanergic dust out in a minecart to an old processing plant that wasn't used before the mineshaft collapsed, killing the two of them before they could make it out." Ozpin said.

Hot tears started to roll down my cheeks. "So that's what happened. They gave their lives for so many others to live." I said. "I understand if you still blame me for--" I cut Ozpin off.

"No." I said. I brushed the tears off my face with a sniffle before standing up. "No, it wasn't your fault. They chose the mission. They knew the risks and chose to do it anyway. And I know the risks of the choice I'm going to make. I'm getting you out of here." I said.

I saw Ozpin's eyes flash yellow, switching Oscar back into his body. "It looks like that passion got passed down to you." he said. I felt my face get slightly warm. I turned to the door, activating my semblance again.

"Y/n, if you ever need to talk, don't hesitate to stop by." Oscar said. "I won't. Thanks." I said, turning so I could meet his eyes. He smiled at me before I left. I smiled to myself about Oscar. 

He was the nicest guy I'd ever known and it didn't take long for me to get lost in his hazel-colored eyes. I'd never known this feeling before, but I knew what it was now. Love.