Our Next Step

The flight back to the Land of Darkness was silent. We landed only to be met with Tyrian. We hopped out of the airship. "Welcome back, welcome back! I do hope you missed us as much as we missed you." Tyrian said.

Emerald and Mercury glared at Tyrian. "Let's go." Hazel said. We moved past Tyrian, Hazel keeping a hand behind me to keep me moving, as well as giving protection.

Tyrian loved picking on me, whether it be for my weapon choice, the way I move in battle, or anything else. He would always find something to pester me about.

"Speaking of which, where is our Fall Maiden?" Tyrian asked. Emerald stopped, causing Tyrian to giggle. "Emerald, come on." Mercury said. "Don't tell me something happened to her!" Tyrian said in a mocking voice before laughing.

Emerald turned around and pointed her weapons at Tyrian. "I will cut of more than just your tail." she said. Tyrian chuckled as he moved closer to Emerald. "Careful, little girl. Cinder isn't here to protect you anymore." he said.

"Back off, freak." Mercury said. "Oh, don't misunderstand, I am in mourning just as you. Because it appears you've failed our Queen, and that is a tragedy." Tyrian said.

He rushed up in front of me and Hazel. "Now let's see, our little ninja, always having to hide and have big brother Hazel to defend you." he said. I took a deep breath before replying.

"I'll have you know I can defend myself." I said. We all continued on to the meeting room where Salem and Watts were waiting. Tyrian took his seat while the rest of us kneeled.

"I would like you to explain to me... how it is you failed so spectacularly?" Salem asked. "The Faunus Militia split our forces--" Hazel was cut off.

"Stop. Let me rephrase the question - who is responsible for your defeat?" Salem asked. Hazel stood up while Emerald, Mercury and I stayed in place. "I take full responsibility." Hazel said.

Salem flipped the table over, knocked Tyrian off his seat and causing Watts to get up and back away. "But that wouldn't be fair now, would it?! We all know who's truly to blame..." Salem said.

"I don't--" Hazel was cut off again, this time by Salem sending Grimm arms up from the ground to force him onto all fours. "Emerald..." Salem said. She started to approach the girl.

"I want you to tell me whose fault this was." Salem said. Emerald's breath got more heavy as Salem got closer as we all rose. "Now." Salem said. "Cinder! We failed because of Cinder..." Emerald said.

"That's right. I want you to understand that failure. I want you to understand why Cinder must be left to toil in her isolation until she redeems herself." Salem said.

She walked away from Emerald as both her and Mercury looked up in surprise. "You mean--" Mercury was cut off. "She's alive?" Emerald asked. "You're joking, how could you know that?" Watts asked.

"Are you questioning our divine savior?!" Tyrian asked. "I..." Watts said. Salem glared at him. "Of course not, forgive me." he said. "It's important not to lose sight of what drives us: Love, justice, reverence... But, the moment you put your desires before my own... they will be lost to you." Salem said.

She released Hazel from the Grimm arms and he gasped for breath. The sisterly part of me wanted to kneel down next to him, check if he was okay, but I knew I couldn't do that. Not now.

"This isn't a threat. This is simply the truth. The path to your desires is only found... through me." Salem said. Hazel stood back up as Tyrian let out a small chuckle. Salem glanced outside before closing her eyes.

"And so we must... press on. The Sword under Vacuo's academy, Shade--" Salem was cut off. "Ma'am. I have... more to report." Hazel said.

Salem's eyes narrowed, the Grimm arms rising near his feet again. "Qrow and the children are taking the Lamp to Atlas." he said. "Not if I can help it." Tyrian said with a laugh.

"And... they're being led by Ozpin." I added. Everyone looked towards Salem with fear and I heard the windows start to crack. "So soon?!" Tyrian asked. "He's the only man with a chance of getting through to Ironwood. If that happens..." Watts trailed off as he and everyone else noticed the windows cracking.

Dark smoke emanated from Salem. "Leave..." she said. "Your Grace, I can..." Tyrian noticed Salem glaring at him. I looked on in terror before Hazel put a hand on my shoulder.

"Come on." he said. Everyone quickly left and as the doors shut, there was an ear-piercing screech that sent so many shivers down my spine, I could barely move.

Everyone else was able to move forward after a few seconds, but I could only stand there. Hazel looked back to see me, frozen. He came back over to me and ruffled my hair, snapping me out of my fear.

"Hey, stop it!" I said, pushing his hand away. "Come on, kid. You've got training with me." Hazel said. I groaned. "I forgot about that." I said.

"At least it's better than training with Tyrian." Hazel said. "Yeah, you've got a point." I said. Hazel would always supervise my trainings if he wasn't the person I was training with.

Last time, I had Tyrian for a training partner and it wasn't the best experience. We made our way to the training room and got to work.