The Holy Order

In the woods of Stone Canyon, in their compound, another meeting of the Holy Order was taking place. Gabriel Van Hellsing stood in a circle with the other court members, all of them once again dressed in their ceremonial robes, wearing their owl masks.

Bowing to the high priest, the Mayor of Stone Canyon was jubilant.

"My Lord, you will be very pleased to know that our plan to get rid of the Vampire Queen is moving faster then expected."

"If our plans are exposed?"

"...what?" Gabriel said, confused.

"Our ally have informed me that you nearly let someone  escape, and that they had to take him out themselves."

His pulse quickened when he heard this. He had hoped the Order wouldn't find out about Cobblepot.

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to-"

"He was headed northeast, very likely to Angel Grove. Do you know what would happen to you, to me, to the order, if The Vampire Queen or her Allies  knew what was going on here? Our entire vision, all of our efforts, was almost compromised last night due to your own negligence."

Gabriel felt anger well up within him. He pointed a finger at the high priest.

"Now wait just a moment! There is absolutely no way I could have known that one man would try and escape our land, and it is unfair of you to think that I could possibly watch every single citizen in all of fucking Stone Canyon!"

The high priest was silent, as he slowly reached his hands up to his hood and removed it. He looked at Gabriel, and without breaking eye contact, he walked up to him and stared down at him.

Gabriel's indignation melted away, replaced instead with fear. He began to shake as he looked up at his Lord's face. He peered into those cold eyes, anxious and unsure of what would happen next.

Suddenly, the high priest's arm shot out, his hand closing around Gabriel's neck. He struggled under the cult leader's powerful grasp, his hands grasping at the long arm that held him.

Gabriel's vision grew fuzzy as his brain began to get cut off from oxygen. With a desperate sputter, he managed to force a few words out of his throat.

"M-m-my L-L-Lord, pl-please..."

The high priest threw his subordinate, releasing his grip on him in the process. Gabriel yelped as his body slammed against a tree. He lay prone for a moment, before he tried to collect himself and unsteadily rose to his feet.

As soon as Gabriel was standing up proper, the priest struck him, his sharp nails raking across his face and drawing blood. Van Hellsing gave a cry of pain as he clutched at his wound with both hands.

The high priest grabbed him by the hair on the back of his head and moved his face close to him. His voice lowered as he spoke, in a venomous, hissing tone.

"Your incompetence disgusts me, Gabriel. You used to fight the monsters by yourself easily, now you've sunk so low to turn to the very monsters you used to hunt for help. Don't let anyone escape the city again, you will sorely regret it. Have I made myself clear?"

"Y-yes! Please, just...just don't hurt me anymore!"

The head of the Holy Order pushed Gabriel back to the ground, then turned and began to move out of the meeting place, his small congregation following his lead.

For a full ten minutes, Gabriel Van Hellsing didn't move from where he was. Instead, he lay in a fetal position, quietly sobbing to himself, tears of pain and humiliation streaming from his eyes.