Chapter 3: The Cadet Corps

(847: 104th Cadet Corps)

It was now 847, two whole years since the day our lives were turned upside down and we lost everything. I along with Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, had enlisted in the 104th Cadet Corps. With nothing left to lose, the only thing we could do was train for three years to become soldiers. The timing worked out perfectly because we had all turned fifteen right around the time that the military started accepting applicants.

Naturally, I applied because I was still going to achieve my goal of joining the scouts. After I told the others this, they all immediately decided to join too. I told them that I didn't need them to look after me but they joined anyway. A lot had happened in those two years and we'd all changed quite a bit. We all got taller for one thing. I also adopted a colder personality toward them. Even though they were the closest thing I had to family, I didn't need them getting in the way of my aspirations.

As we waited in formation, the man who would be our instructor over the next three years appeared and went through the standard drill sergeant procedure of getting in everyone's faces and yelling at them.

Shadis: ATTENTION MAGGOTS. I AM COMMANDANT KEITH SHADIS AND YOU WILL GROW TO HATE ME. OVER THE NEXT THREE SOUL-CRUSHING YEARS I WILL TRAIN YOU TO BECOME WELL-GREASED DESTRUCTION MACHINES THAT WILL CARVE UP THE TITANS LEFT AND RIGHT.

I stood tall with an uninterested look on my face. The Commandant was going up and down each row yelling in the faces of most of the cadets. He skipped over some of us but yelled at the majority. He stopped in front of me and scoffed before walking on to the next unlucky soul. After finishing with my row, he stopped in front of a guy with a haircut that just screamed cocky.

Shadis: WHAT IS YOUR NAME MAGGOT?

???: Jean Kirstein, Sir.

Shadis: WHAT IS YOUR GOAL HERE?

Jean: To join the Military Police and live in the interior.

Shadis: Is that so?

He proceeded to headbutt Jean, sending him to his knees.

Shadis: IF YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE A SIMPLE HEADBUTT THEN YOU ARENT WORTHY OF JOINING THE MPs.

*Crunch*

We all turned to the source of the sound. A brunette girl was eating a potato and didn't notice everyone staring at her. Shadis walked over and stood in front of her staring down.

Shadis: WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION CADET? NAME AND HOMETOWN.

???: Sasha Braus from Dauper village, sir.

Shadis: What is that you have in your hand there?

Sasha: A steamed potato sir. I saw it unattended in the mess hall sir.

Shadis: The theft I understand, but why eat it here?

Sasha: It was getting cold so I decided to shelter it in my stomach, sir.

Sasha broke off a chunk of the potato and held it out to Shadis.

Sasha: Here sir, have half.

He took the chunk of potato and stared at it.

Shadis(In mind): Half?

(Timeskip)

I was leaning up against a pillar outside the mess hall watching Sasha run around the camp. I was surprised that she'd been able to run this long without collapsing. I was eventually joined by a few others who also partook in the entertainment.