Episode 5

Daia's eyes opened wide as a soggy vine attempted to wrap around her middle. Dodging out of the way just in time, she hacked at it with her shortsword so it hung by a thread. "A little help?" she called over her shoulder.

Fishbreath took a second to assess the situation, then said, "Sure. For double fare." The other passengers, clearly not the fighting types, huddled together out of reach of danger.

Dimelza stomped the damaged vine until it was broken off the rest of the way, but another one grabbed at her, barely missing. Daia huffed at Fishbreath and grumbled, "Never mind. I'll take care of it."

The other vine swung at her, wrapping around her ankle and pulling her toward the water. It ached more than she anticipated, leaving a ring of bruising.

Daia slid a couple of feet. It was all she could do not to be pulled over the side. Dimelza arrived just in time to bite into the vine and tear it off, sparing her companion from a watery fight for survival.

While Daia fled from the side of the boat where even more vines were coming up, Fishbreath called, "Just say the word and I'll be more than happy to lend aid."

Dimelza had been unable to get to the safe side of the boat, so Daia dashed back to free her from entrapment. One vine shot toward Dimelza and two at Daia as she replied, "No thanks."

She slashed and hacked, sometimes missing the quickly moving plant tentacles. Each time she thought she had destroyed all the limbs, they were quickly replaced by new ones searching for someone to grab.

Daia was fast and dodging came quite easily to her. She was almost enjoying the encounter, making a game of both the battle and the banter with Fishbreath. That was until she heard a pained bleat and turned to watch Dimelza fall from her injuries.

A gasp escaped Daia's lips and she was distracted for a split second while something large rose from the water beside her.

Fishbreath no longer waited for permission, but ran over to the unconscious goat, knocking away vines with his pole and dragging Dimelza to the safe side. Once she was out of immediate danger, Daia turned back toward her foe with angry determination.

It was too late to dodge the three-foot-tall seed pod that awaited her. She turned right into a face full of spores that puffed out in a large cloud and painfully filled her lungs.

She stepped away as quickly as she could, coughing and spluttering, swinging her shortsword wildly as she did. Although her eyes were tearing up from the attack, she still felt her sword hit a couple of times, knocking the pod onto the deck with a thud.

Fishbreath shouted, "Alright, that's it. I'm just going to add it to your bill!"

He ran at the creature, smashing vines against the deck as he went to the edge of the boat. There, he began jabbing his pole downward with all his might into something Daia could not see. She certainly heard the squelching sound it made with every blow, though.

Daia ran up beside him, going back to back with him so that she could fight off the tentacles that threatened to whip back at him. Daia hacked two of them clean through as Fishbreath dealt another blow that sounded somehow even squishier.

A new tentacle whipped around Fishbreath's ankle and pulled him off balance. He tipped backward as his foot was pulled out from under him. He knocked into Daia as he was pulled over the side.

He gripped the edge with white knuckles, unable to do anything apart from fight against the pull. Were he to fall, the rushing river would have dragged him out of sight in an instant.

Daia stumbled forward and then whirled around. "Aw, come on," she groaned as she slashed through the remaining tentacles.

She sheathed her short sword and drew her hand crossbow. It was loaded and aimed at expert speed, just as the newest vines burst out from the mass of tangled seaweed.

In the last precious second before they reached her, she pulled the trigger. A wooden bolt plunged directly into the center of the thing.

All its limbs halted in midair, then it let out a sickening flow of thick, green liquid. Slowly, it peeled away from the side, plopping into the water, finally releasing Fishbreath from its grip.

Daia glanced at him and said in a voice choked with spores, "I'll add it to your bill." With the excitement over, she was reminded of Dimelza's condition and left Fishbreath to climb back on board.

The goat was still unconscious with labored breath as Daia examined the scrapes and bruises she could see amidst the fur of her neck. Daia found herself still breathing hard and unable to get a clear lungful of air after the spores she had inhaled.

That was not her concern at that moment, though, as she knelt beside Dimelza and lifted the horned head onto her lap carefully. Out of a pouch on her side, Daia retrieved a small vial of deep red liquid– the only one they had.

She did not hesitate for a second before uncorking it with her teeth and pouring it into the goat's mouth.

Still breathing hard and fighting the urge to cough, Daia spit out the cork and stared intently at Dimelza. The wait for the potion to take effect was agonizing, and Daia even wondered if it had been a real potion of healing at all.

From behind her, she heard Fishbreath approach. She guessed that he had been readying a sharp word for the Halfling, but when he reached her, he only stood in silence.

"Come on, Dimelza," Daia urged in a hoarse whisper. "Come on." Daia turned away to cough a few times, then returned her gaze to the unconscious goat to yell, "This never would have happened if you were in your true form! This is why I wanted you to stay home. You're too vulnerable like this. Wake up!"

Fellow passengers watched helplessly but the elderly Gnome offered some water to Daia. She looked at the woman incredulously, then shouted desperately, "I don't need water! I need my sister back!"

The Gnome gasped, and Fishbreath stepped closer to rest a hand on Daia's shoulder. She shrugged him off and went back to staring into Dimelza's face for any sign of life.

At last, the goat sucked in a big breath and opened her eyes. With a gravelly sigh, Daia hugged her head close and reprimanded, "How dare you scare me like that. Don't ever do that to me again. Got that?" Dimelza gave a weak bleat in reply to everyone's relief.

For the rest of the journey, the passengers stayed more carefully toward the middle of the deck. All that Daia and Dimelza could do was wait and let the magic of Thyle heal them. Upon docking at Bairdston early the next morning, the two were back to peak health.

On the way off the dock, Daia said to Fishbreath, "Maybe don't mention any of the stuff you heard about who my goat is to anybody, 'kay?"

Fishbreath responded with a warm smile, then teased, "I'll keep your secrets, alright... for the right price."