Say Goodbye

Then

"Mom!" Reyna shrieked in terror, taking in the grueling scene.

Every inch of the room was overturned, slashed, ripped, broken, or demolished in some way. Broken glass lay strewn about the bed and the writing desk. Then there, lying on the floor was Reyna's mother. A ghostly white figure, sprawled out in front of the fireplace.

"Mom!" Reyna cried, collapsing to her knees by the woman's side. "Mom, I can help! I can- I can- I will fix this."

Her mother's normally unblemished skin was coated in blood, cuts and bruises of every size. Looking as though she'd gone toe-to-toe with a world-renowned fighter, Reyna's chest started to heave in fear. Was she dead?

"Mom, please make a sound or move so I know you are alive," Reyna held her head close to her mother's nose and chest. The tiniest bit of movement brought a glimmer of hope to the young woman. "Oh, thank the stars above."

"R-r-r," a gurgle came from the older woman's lips. The rest of her body remained unmoved.

"Mom," Reyna gripped her hand tightly. "Tell me what happened. Who did this to you?"

"R-r," her mother gurgled again, a small trickle of blood coming from the side of her mouth. "Run."

Run? Why should I-

"Well, this was not the way I expected you to find out," the door behind Reyna slammed shut with a such force it shook the windows. Or what was left of them. Keeping her hands on her mother's chest, Reyna turned to see the monster of a step-father standing only paces away, his arms folded across his chest and a sneer on his face.

"What did you do?" Reyna shouted, a new set of tears falling down her cheeks. "What the fuck did you do to her?"

"Nothing more than what she deserved," he shook his head. "The ungrateful whore."

A light ignited inside Reyna's chest. All of the anger, the rage, the hatred built up over the years exploded like a powder keg. She was done with his man calling her mother terrible names. She was done with him laying his filthy hands on them both. She was done taking the abuse of the monster everyone pretended was a saint. No more! His reign of terror was over, even if she died trying.

"I am through with putting up with this," Reyna rose to her feet. "I was too young to understand why mom never packed up our things and left."

"No one leaves me, Reyna. You know that," the man tutted as he circled her. "And if they do, well; just ask mummy dearest."

She was trying to get us to leave. That's why she said she was sick. To pack everything before he got home.

"She almost had it, too," he grinned. "But my meeting was short today. Imagine my surprise, walking through the front door and seeing my wife carrying two large suitcases in her arms."

"We're leaving right now," Reyna reached for the only object belonging to her father that her mother kept since his passing. A dagger with a blood diamond encrusted in the handle still hung on the wall, untouched by the previous destruction. "You will let us go."