Chapter one

"Thank you for your purchase! I truly hope you feel at home in this house!" The landlord warmly welcomed you, waving and flashing a cheerful smile that perfectly matched his white beard. As a recent college graduate, you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a genuine house. The house itself may not be particularly outstanding in terms of appearance, with its mustard yellow paint job and uneven stucco walls. The elderly man handed over the keys and walked away, likely having been generously compensated for his well-wishes. The steps leading to the front door were rough concrete, sticking to the soles of your shoes, and the door itself was adorned with chipped white paint and a rusted handle.

          Struggling with the keys, you inserted them into the corroded doorknob and turned it open. Instantly, a cold gust of negative energy and air rushed out of the house. As you stepped inside and flicked on the lights, the darkness that enveloped the interior became apparent. Walking across the floor, you felt a sticky sensation under your feet. The images you had seen on the website while searching for this place didn't accurately depict the furnishings or layout. Supposedly, the entrance formed a rectangular space connected to the living room. It was clear that the previous owners, a distinguished family, had left the furniture behind, which, in my opinion, seems rather negligent.   

    However, as is often the case, the wealthy follow their desires without hindrance, leaving no room for objection. The living room occupied a roughly square-shaped area and featured a bathroom adjacent to the left wall, directly across from the black leather couch. In the center, there was a circular table with traces of coffee stains. On the upper-right side of the room, a wooden desk stood, while a staircase occupied the left side. Besides the doors leading to the bedrooms and the exit to the outside, there were few interior doors, and the kitchen was also connected to the living room. The kitchen served as an entrance to the basement and a pathway to the backyard. However, exploring those areas would have to be postponed for now.

               You decided to venture upstairs, where a regal staircase adorned with a luxurious yellow carpet awaited. Although slightly marred by remnants of lint, the sensation underfoot didn't deter you at all. The staircase exuded grandeur with its narrow width and gracefully designed ledge for stability. One could easily mistake it for a relic from medieval times, with its peeling paint resembling delicate flecks of dust. As you ascended to the upper level, you encountered three elegant rooms: the master bedroom, the charming guest bedroom, and a tastefully appointed office space. Except for the guest bedroom, the other rooms appeared empty. The guest bedroom walls were adorned with vibrant strokes of orange paint, and there was a lone nightstand discreetly positioned in one corner. Strewn across the floor were a few abandoned dolls, likely left behind by a forgetful child. You peered out of the window, appreciating the medium-sized pane through which the radiant stars cast their celestial sparkle.

           Fatigue began to take hold, guiding you back downstairs. As you descended, you noticed the abandoned toys scattered on the stairs. Among them, two humanoid dolls and a counterfeit baby bottle caught your eye. The faux bottle had traces of an orange substance, likely from previous playtimes. The dolls themselves bore distinctive markers of homemade craftsmanship. One had stitched-on clusters of short, golden hair and emerald button eyes, clad in a dapper blue outfit. The other had cascading locks of daffodil yellow hair, somber black button eyes, and wore an elegant gown of roseate hue. However, perhaps the most peculiar difference between them was their facial expressions. The male doll wore a stitched-on smile, while the other had an eerie absence of a mouth. It was an enigmatic curiosity, but ultimately inconsequential. Carefully placing the toys on the living room table, you bid farewell to their enigmatic presence and turned off the lights. A sense of tranquility enveloped you as you gracefully made your way to the inviting couch, surrendering your weary head to its supportive embrace. "What an extraordinary home. The neighborhood proves its charm. Affordable and exceptionally well-maintained... I daresay I am destined to fully enjoy my newfound sanctuary." With that thought drifting through your mind, you closed your eyes as the starlight gradually faded away. The tender embrace of home cradled your sleeping form, accompanied by the soothing sounds of the night. Oh how you would miss these days.....