Chapter 2 -*

It smelled like the morning, with the sun shining through the windows and the gentle sound of leaves brushing against the walls. there was a nostalgic feeling in the air, accompanied by the delightful aroma of pancakes. the sight of fluffy pancakes on a glass plate, topped with butter and maple syrup, brought comfort and warmth to the house. as you stretched out on the leather couch, you heard a few pops from your spine. walking into the kitchen, the smell of pancakes became even stronger. unsure of what to expect, you found no breakfast waiting for you on the counter. instead, there was a dusty l-shaped countertop covered in dust and crumbs. the kitchen had an old-timey feel, with checkered black and white tiles sticking to your feet. a square window in the middle of the wall let in natural light, illuminating a half-circular table with two chairs tucked underneath. the countertop beside the kitchen table had a sink and cupboards above it. adjacent to the entrance of the dining room was a spice rack, and a peculiar dishwasher almost completely covered the basement door. it was a bit strange, but it could have been a mistake during the move.              

 Notably, this room also had access to the backyard through a narrow square, almost like a hallway. the gray walls in this area were almost completely covered in yellow stains. despite the odd conversation, the smell in the room seemed to grow stronger. opening the drawers, you found a rusty butter knife with orange and yellow residue similar to what was on a baby bottle. curiosity led you to open the cupboards, revealing a plate with the same discolored residue. the glass surface felt unpleasantly grippy, so you set it down alongside the knife. as you looked into the dishwasher, you noticed a teacup on the top tray, also covered in the strange substance.

Whats with this house and the color yellow? maybe it's a family thing, or perhaps just a coincidence. you placed all of these items on the table, staring at them, hoping for some kind of revelation. it probably wasn't safe to eat off these dishes and utensils, considering the rust and potential for tetanus. should you throw them away? most likely, as you could afford to replace them. however, the only garbage can accessible to you was the shared one with your neighbor, located outside the house. the neighborhood seemed a bit sketchy, although not to the extent of crime and drug activity. the neighbors were just a bit peculiar at times.

you picked up the dishes and walked through the hallway towards the back door. the annoying squeaking of the doorknob and the knocking against the weak wood were unpleasant to your ears. as you opened the door, the backyard matched the messy state depicted in the photos, if not worse. on the left side, there was a damaged shack with a changed roof on the inside. a long hedge of dead berry bushes revealed two or three beehives or wasp nests. the broken fence outlining a small uneven square made the backyard even uglier than the front yard.

attempting to make your way to the garbage can, you opened the fence door only for it to crumble in your hands, revealing a yellow liquid that had seemingly held it together. the smell was unpleasant, but there was nothing you could do at the moment. in a hurry, you discarded the dishes into the garbage can, only to be greeted by a swarm of wasps and flies when the lid was lifted. you immediately closed it and hurriedly returned to your house, slamming the back door shut. it was a silly reaction, but bugs had somehow managed to startle you. the scent of pancakes seemed to have become even stronger. who would have thought that throwing those things away would make the smell worse? Well what does it matter, not like you could complain being how cheep this place was. Sitting back down on the coach you scroll threw your phone, only for the boredom to take over your fatigue. It wasn't like you had anything else to do but sleep..... So that what exactly you did, you couldn't help it. This house almost had this nurturing feeling to it. Like you were back in your childhood home again....