Dust to Dust

Aether POV

"why did you do that to me, rimuru!?"

Rimuru: because you're weak! *slash*

"weak...? shut up!"

why...

rimuru... you betrayed me!

Rimuru: you're weak... and weak people disgust me *scoffs*

"shut your darn mouth!"

3rd POV

a battle? yes. but not at the same time.

aether is currently fighting with rimuru, but not an actual battle.

yes. an after effect caused by the Gate of Suffering.

anyway... after aether fainted, the lady was nowhere to be seen, leaving only rimuru and the c.retainer.

Rimuru: alright... i have to go. i'll leave him to you *winks at c.retainer*

C.retainer: where are you going?

Rimuru: to meet a certain friend *chuckles*

C.retainer: which friend?

a small grin spread across rimuru's face for a moment before he turned around and disappeared.

Rimuru: focalors... i have come to take back the third promise *grin*

----

after waking up, aether and paimon returned to the northland bank a little sad...?

Childe: ohh, so you're back-wait what happened?

Paimon: uhhh...

Aether: ...nothing happened

Childe: are you sure? you look a little sad, you know...

after a bit of conversation, childe decided not to ask any more questions and returned to the main objective.

and with that, aether told him everything that happened, except about rimuru.

Childe: i see... the moon carver, mountain sharper, cloud retainer, and the last one, conqueror of demons. some of those names never appeared in the intel the fatui had *nods*.

Paimon: now what?

Childe: uhh yes. as a return gift, i also have information for you *smile*

Aether: ...

Childe: regarding the death of the archon... liyue qixing's response really got me thinking...

Paimon: ....think?

Childe: they've announced that, since the real killer hasn't been found yet, they're not allowing anyone to pay their respects to exuvia *sigh*

a word that Aether and Paimon have never heard before. Exuvia.

the true purpose of the body... a vessel? a source of power?

or worst of all... bait?

author: *sips coffee* don't look at me!

Aether: wait. what is exuvia?

Paimon: never heard of it *shakes head*

Childe: it is common knowledge in liyue that rex lapis is also an adeptus. geo archon is also a god of contracts, and is also known as exuvia, the prime of the adepti... *nods*

Aether: something like a leader, huh...

Paimon: ohh! means the other adeptus made a contract with rex lapis, huh?

Childe: *chuckle* correct!

Aether: huh. no wonder they're all so focused on liyue's well-being.

Paimon: yeah, paimon's think so *nods*

Childe: back to the story, they've even gone to great lengths to withhold information... but with the rite of descension, even the qixing can't cover up a lot of things

Paimon: uguuu... this is getting out of hand all of a sudden! paimon blames rimuru for this! *frowns*

yup. that's paimon and her mouth. it always brings trouble.

Childe: rimuru? who is that...? *tilts head*

aether's face darkened for a moment before putting on an expressionless look.

Aether: none of your business.

Childe: i-i know, right *smile wryly* a-anyway... i can help you solve this problem. i just need to find someone who can break this stalemate *smile*

they decided to end the chit-chat, aether and paimon went to look for more information while childe looked for someone who could help them.

Childe: truly interesting. the harder they try to de-escalate the situation, the more chaos ensues... *laugh* if you want to be here to see it all come crashing down, you better stay alive until we meet again, huh? *chuckles* but... i'm curious about this rimuru...

----

the lights flickered, a gentle breeze filled the room. there was a man who looked like royalty, sitting while enjoying an elegant wine.

???: oshmanthus wine tastes the same as i remember-

*ring*

a door opened as a blue-haired boy entered the room.

Rimuru: *looks around* this place is really cozy

the atmosphere quickly changed as he entered the room.

no wind, no sound. no one dared to utter a single word after sensing the terrifying presence.

???: wah wah wah... after all these years, you've finally arrived here. a prophecy? a lucky guess? only earth has clear memories *sigh*

after the man said that, it caught rimuru's attention.

Rimuru: but the earth knows who their true master is~ even you... even me.... *chuckles*

rimuru walked over to the man, joining him at the table.

???: my treat.

Rimuru: do you even have one mora? *laughs*

???: if it means breaking the rules, then yes *sips wine*

-------
hehehe... it's getting interesting.
anyway, enjoy🍢