Chapter 11: Bonds of Betrayal

"It's her! Thank heavens she is alive!" Kalen exclaimed as he carried Lilian's cold body to safety. His heart ached at the sight of her in such a fragile state, vulnerable and helpless.

Since their paths had diverged and they had returned to the kingdom of Silla, not a day had gone by without Kalen worrying about Lilian. Even Ardan couldn't hide his frustration as they continuously strategized to rescue her from Marlin's clutches.

Fortune smiled upon them when Kalen and Videre chose to patrol beyond the kingdom. Leading the way, Videre stumbled upon the severed head of the treacherous creature. The horses reared in panic as they approached the grisly sight, their senses overwhelmed by the forbidden realm's horrors. Amid the mud and rain, two bodies lay motionless.

Dismounting swiftly, Kalen's heart raced when he saw Lilian's fiery red hair matted with rain and dirt. He pulled her closer, his grip firm and protective.

"Little dove..." he murmured into her ear.

Videre approached Obene, who was also injured. "This one is injured. What do we do with him?" he asked.

Kalen hesitated, torn between vengeance and duty. He recognized Obene as the commander of Marlin's forces who had taken Lilian away. Anger flared within him, but seeing how desperately Lilian clung to life, he knew he had to act justly.

"Let's bring him back," Kalen commanded. "We need to attend to his wounds."

Obene fluttered his eyes open to find himself bathed in the soft glow of light. He was lying on a pristine white satin sheet in a spacious, unfamiliar room devoid of furniture. A dull ache enveloped his body, and as he touched his neck, he felt the bandages wrapped around it. He couldn't believe he was still alive after the banshee's ferocious attack. The final, nightmarish memory of the creature's teeth tearing into him sent a fresh wave of pain through his body.

"Lilian... Where is she?" he thought anxiously, his concern for her overshadowing his discomfort. Just then, the door swung open, and an old man entered. Dressed in a glaring white robe, the healer's identity was unmistakable.

The old man smiled upon seeing Obene awake. "How are you feeling?" he asked gently.

Obene, though cautious, responded, "I'm feeling much better. Thank you for treating my wounds. How did you manage to patch me up?"

The healer furrowed his brow as he approached Obene and touched the bandages on his neck. "You were quite battered when you were brought in. Cuts and a few broken bones, but your skin wasn't lacerated. I treated some injuries, but not the wounds you mentioned," he explained.

Obene was momentarily confused. Did he imagine the banshee's attack? Doubt clouded his mind, but before he could ponder further, Lilian entered the room. Her radiant red hair and flowing green dress accentuated her features, captivating him despite his efforts to look away.

"No doubt, green is your color," Obene complimented, trying to divert his gaze.

Lilian's cheeks flushed, her eyes softening as she approached the bed. A silent sob escaped her as she gently touched his arm. "Thank heavens you're awake. I-I thought you wouldn't make it," she said, her voice trembling with relief. She tried to hide her tears, her eyes dropping.

"Don't cry. I'm here now," Obene said soothingly. "What happened after...?"

"I don't know. It was all a blur. I saw you on the ground injured, and then we were rescued from the forest. It was a miracle," Lilian replied, her voice tinged with awe.

Obene let his mind wander through the events but eventually set aside the mystery. "I should thank those who saved us. Where are we?"

"You're in the kingdom of Silla. The prince rescued you, and with the king's blessing, you're in the protective castle of King Ardan," the healer answered.