Chapter 26: The Witch's Bargain

Noah and his companions approached the dilapidated hut, which loomed like a scene from a nightmare. The door creaked open, and they froze.

At the entrance of the hut stood Galinda, a ghastly figure that seemed to have crawled from the darkest corners of a nightmare. Her hair hung in lifeless, rotting strands, resembling straw that had been left to decay. Her smile was a twisted mockery of warmth, revealing blackened, broken teeth that seemed to snarl more than a smile.

A thin wisp of smoke curled lazily from the chimney, its pungent aroma suggesting the presence of a cauldron brewing some dark concoction within. Her lupine eyes, sharp and predatory, glinted with a malevolent light as she spoke in an eerie, guttural language that seemed to crawl over the air like tendrils of fog. Each syllable dripped with a sinister undertone, adding to the already oppressive atmosphere that clung to the space like a shroud.

"A human?" Galinda's voice slithered through the air, dripping with a sickening anticipation. Her eyes widened, glowing with a predatory gleam that made her intent unmistakable.

Her hooked nose twitched, and a grotesque wart on her face—large and bulbous—seemed almost to pulse in rhythm with her breath, adding an extra layer of repulsiveness to her visage.

"Come in, come in, human..." she cackled, her laughter like the rasping sound of a rusted hinge. Her blackened teeth, crooked and uneven, gleamed menacingly beneath the cruel arch of her eyebrows, which were set in a permanent scowl that deepened her malevolent expression.

"Galinda, we seek to negotiate. Do you have time to speak with us?" Roma's voice was a calm, measured contrast to the witch's eerie, unsettling presence. His composed demeanor cut through the witch's dark enchantment, standing as a beacon of reason amidst the oppressive gloom of her lair.

Galinda's smugness faltered at Roma's presence, replaced by a flicker of fear. "What does the wise man from the north want from me, and why is he accompanied by a human?" she demanded.

Roma did not answer but moved closer to the hut. "Will you admit us into your home, Galinda?" he pressed.

After a moment of hesitation, Galinda reluctantly nodded. As Noah and Kalen followed Roma inside, Galinda leaned in, her rotten breath overwhelming. She sniffed Noah with disturbing intensity.

"I wish I could say dinner is served, but it can wait," she said, her eyes locked on Noah as she licked her lips.

Noah's mind raced with horror. Was she planning to eat him?

Inside, the hut was filled with grotesque artifacts—dead bones, preserved bats, and a dark altar with a cobweb-covered black candle. Kalen's eyes locked on the candle, their prize, but it was clear they couldn't just grab it.

Galinda's unsettling grace added to the tension as she glided across the room. "What brings the prince of Silla and this human to my forest?" she asked.

Roma's voice was icy, cutting through the thick tension. "Curious as always, Galinda. Shall we explain our business so we can leave soon?" His tone held a chilling detachment, reflecting his unyielding resolve.

Galinda's gaze shifted, and with an unnerving grace, she glided closer to Noah. Her bony frame loomed over him, and her breath, fetid and rancid, brushed against his skin. "I sense fear in you, human," she crooned, her voice dripping with malicious delight. A mirthless laugh escaped her cracked lips, sending a shiver down Noah's spine.

Without breaking eye contact, Galinda continued, her voice taking on a matter-of-fact tone. "You want my candle," she declared, her words echoing with an unsettling clarity. The revelation hung in the air, heavy with a sinister implication.