Brotherly Love

The next morning Kaeya wakes up and gets dressed. He decides that he wants to go back to work today to take his mind off things. As he walks downstairs he spots Diluc dusting. "Morning," says Diluc with his back to Kaeya. Diluc hardly acknowledges others while he is working. "Good morning," Kaeya says with a yawn. "Adeline prepared you breakfast. It's in the microwave." Kaeya is now on ground level with Diluc. "That sure was nice of her. Also Diluc I think I'm going back to work today. When will you make your return?" Diluc places the duster over his shoulder and looks at Kaeya. "I won't be returning to the knights unfortunately. They showed their true colors," Diluc replies. Kaeya's eyes are wide with surprise. "But Diluc we have always wanted to be knights since childhood. Y-you were the calvary captain and one of the best knights! I wanted to be like you someday." Kaeya blushes as he admits the truth. "You can," says Diluc, simply with a smirk. He can't believe that his younger brother looked up to him so much. "So what will you do, Diluc? Since you are no longer with the knights?" "I will take over father's job running the Dawn Winery. I will also visit Angel's Share to see how things are running." DIluc continues dusting the shelves. Kaeya says, "oh I see. D-do you think we can talk more tonight?" Diluc chuckles, "yes. we need to settle things between us." This time Diluc smirks at Kaeya. Kaeya blushes. 

"What was that smirk all about?" Kaeya wonders as he leaves Dawn Winery. Jean greets Kaeya as he enters the Knights of Favonious Head Quarters. "Kaeya, I'm glad you're back...or should I call you Calvary Captain Kaeya?" Kaeya's eyes get big. "Are you saying I got promoted, Jean?" Jean nods. Kaeya smirks. "Thank you for all your hard work, Kaeya. Your new office is cleaned and ready for you," says Jean. "Really now? When was this decision made to name me calvary captain?" "Well when Diluc resigned we were looking for a new captain of course. However even before that the higher ups and I have discussed you being named captain a few times. Will you accept this offer?" Kaeya laughs. "Are you kidding me, grand master? Of course I want it! Thank you for this opportunity." Jean tells him of what must be done as calvary captain and that he has a few skill based tests to take. "Your vision? The element of ice! I'm so proud! You will definetely knock out those tests tomorrow. Best of luck, Kaeya!" 

Kaeya walks to the courtyard to train. Kaeya looks at both of his hands and takes a deep breath. He activates his vision by concentrating on his opponents, the straw training dolls. "Ha...ahh!" He blasts all of the training dolls in one go. He admires his work and sees ice covering the straw. He chuckles. "Wow," he says looking at both his hands. 

Night is starting to fall over Mondstadt. Kaeya enters the Dawn Winery and sees the 'closed' sign. The bar area is spotless, the tables, spotless. Everything is spotless. Elzer greets Kaeya. "Is Diluc still here?" "He should be in his room," says Elzer. Kaeya thanks him and climbs the stairs. Kaeya opens Diluc's bedroom door without a warning. "Diluc guess what?" Diluc has his pants halfway on as if he was in the middle of changing. Diluc glares at Kaeya. "Don't you knock?" Kaeya blushes. "Oh, uh...I'm sorry." Kaeya then shuts the door and waits on the other side. He hears Diluc growl on the other side. DIluc opens the door and has on PJ pants and is shirtless. "What is it, Kaeya?" "We were supposed to talk remember?" Kaeya says nervously. Diluc yawns and opens the door wider for Kaeya to enter. Diluc stretches his arms and sits on the edge of his black and red bed. The redhead is obviously exhausted. Kaeya sits on the chair in front of Diluc. "I'm the new calvary captain," Kaeya smirks. "Oh and I'm learning to use my ice abilities!" Diluc smiles. "That's great. I'm glad you got the position." Both Diluc and Kaeya can feel tension between them.  "I didn't feel that it was right," Kaeya blurts out. Diluc looks to Kaeya in surprise. "I was never his real son, you were, Diluc. I didn't know what to do because I was already late. I-I just froze, like a coward. And-and that smile and my words-" 

Kaeya thinks back to what he said as Diluc held Crepus in his arms. "This world is truly fascinating," Kaeya had said that day. 

"Father had fought hard for us," Kaeya's voice trembles. Diluc nods in agreement. "What I meant was that Master Crepus saved us that night. It was fascinating that he died so peacefully with his true son." Tears well up in Kaeya's eyes. "I couldn't tell father that I was originally from Khaenri'ah. I'm a traitor to Mond, Diluc!" Tears stream down his face. "Don't you understand that if anyone knew, I would probably never be able to return to Mondstadt. O-or maybe the knights would just kill me." Diluc stands up. "Shut up, Kaeya!" Diluc wraps Kaeya in a hug. "I think I'm beginning to understand," says Diluc. "Your birth father entrusted you to keep the secret of you being from Khaenri'ah and you feel obligated to keep that secret. Correct?" Kaeya nods under Diluc's grasp. "You aren't a bad person, brother. You're just misunderstood." Kaeya looks up at Diluc teary-eyed and smiles. "You aren't mad anymore?" "No. I understand your situation better," Diluc sighs. Diluc turns his back to Kaeya. "I love you." Kaeya's eyes get big and he gasps. "I love you too, Luc." Diluc is blushing but since his back is turned to Kaeya he can easily hide it. Kaeya is also blushing. "Let's train together tomorrow. You'll be a great calvary captain, Kae." Diluc says getting under the covers. Kaeya laughs. "Yes, brother! I'll do my best! But hey, don't blame me if I beat you," Kaeya teases. Diluc chuckles, "no way. Now go to bed." Kaeya smiles ear to ear as he can't wait for his training tomorrow. 

Authors Note

Sparks are flying guys! Slowly but surely. Please enjoy and tell me what you guys think in the comments! So excited for the next chapter! Stay tuned for more!