Chapter 84

The hotel hallway was quiet as Grayson unlocked his room and stepped inside. The weight of the day pressed down on him; he craved nothing more than some rest.

Alison had insisted he leave and take a break, though she appeared more worn out than he. She went with Gabriel, Cora, and Rupert to discuss her wants and needs. As much as he'd love to put an end to this ordeal, she didn't want Mason behind bars, just that he lived a life separate from hers.

Grayson lay on his hotel bed, trying to ignore the fact that it was well into the afternoon. He was exhausted, both physically and mentally. He felt torn between his heart's demanding to speak with Alison and his rational mind telling him not to.

Frustration welled up within him as he settled on the bed, not quite comfortable, propped against the headboard instead of lying flat, and closed his eyes, hoping for sleep.

Sleep did arrive, and surprisingly, it was a peaceful one.

In his dream, Emily appeared, usually a source of deep sorrow for Grayson. But this time, he felt different. He knew it was a dream, and the usual heartache wasn't there; instead, he felt something strange, like acceptance. He watched silently as Emily crouched down and jumped into the pool.

"Come on, Gray," she called out in the dream. "I bet I can beat your holding-breath record."

For some reason, Grayson couldn't respond; it was like the dream rules had tied up his voice, leaving him silent and just observing. He watched Emily disappear beneath the water, her challenge still in the air. It should have made him miss her, but instead, he felt distant, like the pain of losing her had changed into something he couldn't quite understand.

Then, something on his right grabbed his attention, and he turned his head even though the dream rules said he couldn't. There, floating in the water, was Alison. 

Grayson's eyes met hers, and he was fascinated by the intensity of her blue eyes. They held a depth he'd never seen before, like he was finally seeing the real Alison, no masks or defences.

As he gazed into Alison's deep blue eyes, fear gripped Grayson's heart. He wasn't entirely sure why at first, but deep down, he knew the reason. Alison couldn't swim, not even a little, let alone float.

Just as this thought crossed his mind, Alison started paddling, her movements getting more and more frantic. He realized it was his own thoughts in his dream that had caused this dangerous situation.

Without a second thought, he threw himself into the water, splashing as he broke the surface. Instinct took over, and he kicked and thrashed his way towards Alison. The water felt unusually heavy and resistant.

Grayson's heart sank as he reached for Alison, but she slipped beneath the water and disappeared. Panic coursed through him, and he dived beneath the surface, frantically searching for her.

The water was murky and disorienting, and as he searched, there was no sign of Alison.

"Am I that easy to forget?" Emily's voice cut through the water, tinged with disappointment. Her words echoed from all directions, and Grayson felt a deep sense of frustration and confusion with his dream.

In a surreal twist, he found himself standing on the pool deck, holding a stack of towels. His eyes fell on a chilling sight that sent shivers down his spine: Emily lay lifeless on the ground.

Grayson often dreamt of Emily, and in every dream, it ended with her dead and him running away or squeezing his eyes shut. But this time, he stood before her with open eyes.  "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Suddenly, his surroundings turned icy cold, and Emily's lifeless figure started to vanish, like it was made of mist. "I'm so sorry, Emily..."

He shut his eyes tightly, unable to bear the sight of her empty, lifeless emerald green eyes that used to sparkle so brightly.