V

My prediction ended up being correct. I've become well enough that I am able to manage a day at school. To my luck, Corrine had graciously brought me my homework, so that I wouldn't be completely confused as to what is happening while in class. It's like if you're taking notes and you're not paying one hundred percent attention to the teacher while taking notes, the next minute after you've spaced out, the teacher is talking about something new. Thus, you are lost.

I've always been one to be distracted. If someone is clicking a pen, I could go completely nuts with annoyance. The clicking itself could keep me away from fully paying attention. I have to try my hardest not to become distracted to fully catch up in my learning.

Though I managed to catch up with yesterday's work, I feel so distracted and so far behind. The only thing on my mind is what might happen later today. I am to meet up with Corrine and go to the pool. I still couldn't get over the fact that someone has liked me and thus, wants to meet me. The thought hasn't left my head.

What will happen? Will it go bad? Could it possibly go well? Those are questions I won't know until later and it is killing me. I just want to know that everything will be all right.

After school, I am the last one to get out of the classroom. I am in no rush. After all, my locker is just right outside of the room.

Aiden is already at my locker, as the usual. What is unusual is that Corrine is there; she's always busy. Today however, is one of those days where I go to the pool with her and so, she waits for me. And wherever I am, you could probably find Aiden there with me. It's always been an unspoken rule: I would go wherever he goes and he would go wherever I go, unless we're busy and have to do something else.

I guess I enjoy the unspoken rule. I know that I can always count on Aiden to be there. I can count on Corrine too, but she has a tighter schedule than the most of us. She is highly dedicated to her school and job, but manages time to be my Aiden's and my friend.

I wave them away from locker, seeing as they are in the way. If I didn't wave them off, they might've crashed their bodies into the door of my locker. I gather the books I need for homework and afterwards, shut my locker. The three of us leave, syncopated in the same rhythm as we walk.

Corrine seems awfully bubblier than her usual self as she bounces up and down and says, "You are so lucky this guy likes you. His name is Alex, by the way. I wish Blonde Boy, otherwise known as Elliott, liked me."

I watch as she continues jumping while we walk. She seems so excited. I just wish I could share the same feelings. I feel so much anxiety building up inside me. I am nearly close to retreating and backing out of this.

"I bet the Blonde Guy - I mean, Elliott - likes you. He just doesn't know you very well," I say.

"Alex likes you, and he barely knows you," she states, smiling at me. She seems to be smiling for two people - her and me.

"Well, Alex is probably different. He possibly believes in love at first sight, is all," I think out loud. There is no possible way that he has reason to like me at all. He doesn't even know me.

Aiden drives Corrine and I to the pool. Once we reach the place, Corrine tells us that she will meet up later and then, she parts away.

We walk to the locker area, where we have a locker to ourselves. Since Corrine works here, Aiden and I get to spend a lot of time and so, the manager arranged lockers for the both of us. Because of that, we don't have to bring a change of clothes and a bathing suit all the time. We could just stop by anytime we wanted to.

I pick up my bathing suit and walk into the girl's bathroom to change. Aiden beats me to the pool after I finish. He is sitting on the edge, waiting for me to come out. I decide to sneak up on him. Luckily, he never turns around. When I reach towards him, I push him into the pool.

I wait a few seconds before he resurfaces. He is gasping for air and I can't help but laugh at him. I sit on the edge and offer my hand to pull him to the edge. Aiden reaches towards my hand, but to my surprise, he doesn't let me reel him in. Instead, I am being sucked into the water. It is my turn to gasp for air when I manage to get above water.

"Idiot," I nearly scream, when I catch my breath.

"You're the one who pushed me in. I just repaid you, is all," Aiden playfully argues.

Aiden's hair has already lost its shape. Being sucked in under the water seems to have a great effect on his hair. It looks weird and I can't help but laugh again.

"Your hair looks like you just woke up," I take a pause for greater effect before speaking up again, "in a pool." I stand on the tip of my toes and bring my hand up to his hair. I begin to mess up his hair, making it look worse than it already does.

Aiden pretends to look angry, but only looks as if he is trying to laugh. He grabs ahold of my waist and spins me around in the water. When he stops spinning, he starts to tickle me. I am finding myself gasp for air again, but not because of the water.

"Okay! You win. Just stop it," I manage to say.

He finally lets go of me, leaving my stomach to erupt with tingly feelings. He doesn't wipe the smirk off his face after I manage to stand back up again. Out of the corner of my eye, I find Corrine finally on duty in her lifeguard chair. A group of guys seems to be below her, talking to her. I watch as she looks away to watch the pool, only to find that she is looking for me. When our eyes meet, she gives a smile that says "Good luck!" and points at me. The guys in the pool look to where she is pointing. They are the group of boys Corrine has been gawking about. They are the boys Corrine and I always gossip about.

I try to pinpoint which of the boys is Alex. His chocolate-like brown hair is dripping with water. He's not the most masculine guy, but a person can tell he works out. He looks like the guy who cares about his image, but doesn't try to work too hard for it.

They're walking towards Aiden and I and I immediately start to panic. I think about retreating to the bathroom and hiding, but I couldn't leave Aiden alone. Besides, they do come to the pool all the time, so I can't avoid them forever.

Every step they take causes my heart to pump even faster. What will I say? What will I do? Aiden seems to notice my anxiety. I've never been one to be good at talking to new people, after all.

"Relax," is all Aiden says, as he places a hand on my shoulder.

Alex, however, seems to be calm and collected. If he is nervous, he shows no evidence of it at all. His eyes directly hit mine, watching me as he emerges closer and closer. He's smiling too, while I am feeling jittery.

I decide to not notice they're coming closer to me and get out of the pool. If I pretend I'm going to the bathroom, maybe they'll try to talk to me another time. I am just simply not ready.

"Valentina, wait," a voice calls. I've never talked to any of the boys, so I couldn't distinguish who is trying to call out my name.

Relax, I think to myself and I turn around. Aiden is watching me from the pool. I can feel Corrine's eyes burning into my skin. Most of Alex's friends are standing back to give his friend and I space. There Alex is, standing five feet away from me and yet, I couldn't find my voice to speak.

So, I go for the wave and run.