Prologue

Stumbling through the ruins of an ancient temple that once belonged to the goddess Shakti, a sight of hundreds of women stand together to welcome me. Goddesses, decked in rich silks and jewels, their faces radiating splendour and strength, lead me to the centre towards a large bonfire. Surrounding the bonfire are women I identify as apsaras, the celestial maidens of Swarga, the torchbearers of Indian art and culture, whose sculptures I see decked in the broken temple walls. There is still beauty left in these ruins.

In plain robes, I see another group of women carrying a pooja thali laden with haldi, kumkum, fresh flowers and holy threads. I know them. They are the forgotten scholars who barely lack a mention in history. I smile and bow to them with a lone tear glistening in my eyes. All of us: goddesses, apsaras, rishikas and us mortals, connected by a single thread of womanhood.

The female musicians play a beautiful tune as we gather around the fire. Hand in hand, with bright smiles adorning our faces, all divinities and mortals alike, we look into the fire and dance. A golden circle envelops all of us, and I hear the powerful voice of Adishakti in my ears.

Remember that I dwell within you when they say your minds and bodies are impure and cannot attain pure thoughts and knowledge. My power lies in your bones! Always have a steadfast heart. In times of trouble and doubt, look up to the sky, your art, and your books, for you shall always find me there. You are never alone! My sister goddesses will be your constant companions, guiding you to recognize your own divine nature; from the moment you are born until your final breath. You shall always come back to me. You and me. We all are one."