Rishika Gargi: A Brahmavadini

"Without knowing that Truth which the Rishis call God, I will not be well."

A woman clad in white, face resplendent as the sun, eyes carrying a strong desire to know something beyond worldly limitations — knowledge that is simple and plain, can be easily known and heard, yet the hardest to realize.

But I am in school learning Science, Literature, History, Mathematics and Arts. I am not that wise woman from my dreams. I am just a normal girl in school who is twelve and has to study well to get first rank in my term examinations.

Truly speaking, I am not very good at Mathematics. I know English, I can write stories! I read history books out of my school syllabus and Ramayana-Mahabharata. People make fun of it too at times, when I bring them to class, but that's okay. Sometimes there are strange moments when I am with my friends during lunch break, and an unknown wave of questions hits me.

Why am I a human? Who am I? Why does the Earth exist? Who holds space? Why don't the planets go haywire? Why do waves exist? Have I lived on this planet before? Sometimes, I hear an answer, but I hear only the words and the language. I do not understand what it means.

They say you are too young. You must not consume too much of such information. I am older now, and a friend tells me the world is simple, why must you think of such complex questions? Does it not trouble you to not know? To not question? My family tells me to not concern myself with these questions. 'It's only for useless wandering mendicants who wear saffron robes and roam the world with a begging bowl. You must study hard, earn money and respect, and have friends and family.'

My mother has put those sacred texts and epics under the bed. It feels as if someone snatched my teacher from me. Are my questions and thoughts really useless? I want friends, money, good food and family, but I also want that which is forbidden in their eyes. I want to know why I am here, and why I have such questions. There must be someone else who has or once had these questions.

So one fine day, the woman in white robes comes in front of me holding old brown coloured papers and books. She also holds my Ramayana and Mahabharata books and ruffles my hair. Her voice sounds so divine, making goosebumps rise on my skin.

"You, my child, must never stop questioning. Go beyond what you learn and see. The world is an open book. It's in your hands to turn the pages and read every word every line. This pursuit of knowledge is not easy, and in every step, you will have people saying you are not worthy to have such knowledge because some believe to possess the Truth, you must be a great seer, a great wise person. They forget that every great person started young, or if not young; they started their journey once as a novice. And yes, you do not have to give up your favourite chocolate or that red gown to pursue this knowledge. Not for now. One must learn to live through all desires and stages of life. Be blessed..."